NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Baader filters at First Light Optics

FLO

Enquiring about the UHC-S and the OIII.

I am often asked which of these two is the better buy. The answer is ... depends!

Martin's link takes you to a thread that discusses this and from there Gaz has a posted this link to a very good comparison article: http://tinyurl.com/kkxql

Here is an excerpt:

So far (with a few notable exceptions), the numbers show the UHC and OIII are the filters of choice for viewing nebulae, and to some degree supports the general recommendation that if only one filter can be purchased, it should be the UHC. In performance characteristics, the UHC filter tends to reveal a slightly larger and/or brighter area of nebulosity with many emission nebulae than the OIII does, while the OIII filter will often yield somewhat more contrast and dark detail on a given object. The OIII also tended to be a bit better for "blinking" small planetary nebulae than the UHC was...... The inclusion of some planetary nebulae may have slightly inflated the score of the OIII filter, since in general, the OIII often does a bit better on those objects.

Hope that helps :wink:

• 4 weeks later...

Baader make filters for visual and imaging.

I am not an imager (that is this seasons mission) so forgive me if I quote:

The UHC-S delivers a darker sky and improved contrast over typical broadband 'Deep Sky Filters' but without sacrificing all the stars like other 'UHC' filters. The moderate 60nm passband and extreme efficiency makes this filter great for smaller scopes as well as the giants. Ideal for imaging, too (with >99% transmission of H-Alpha).

This link takes you to a good article about filters and their suitability from a visual POV: http://tinyurl.com/kkxql

Steve, are these filters for viewing or imaging?

I know nothing about filters!

I have a Baader UHC-S filter and it really makes a difference visually on planetary nebulae (eg: the Ring, the Dumbell, the Veil, the Owl etc). Works well in smaller scopes - I use it visually with an ED100 and an ED80 - as it is not as "severe" as other narrowband filters (eg: the OIII filter).

Steves pricing is very good for SGL members - it's just that there were none in stock when I had the cash burning a hole in my pocket (sorry Steve !).

I'd like to try an OIII filter but I suspect it would be too much for my small apeture scopes (ie: stars would dim too much).

John,

North Somerset

John, I'll report back and tell you how the ED100 gets on with the OIII. Also intend to try out the UHC-S for imaging.

Russ

Thanks Russ - I'll be very interested to hear about your experiences - personally I'm a visual observer rather than an imager.

John,

North Somerset

I had an opportunity to observe with Greg (Phattire) last night. The sky was remarkably still and clear - some Moonglow aside - with an easily visible Milky Way.

With a Skywatcher 200 (8”) Newtonian, a 40mm Plossl and an OIII filter, the Veil Nebula (East) was an easy target. Its shape was recognisable and at times, texture too.

The reason for mentioning this here is that without the OIII, the Veil was barely discernable. As an experiment, I removed the filter and held it in front of the eyepiece, then took it away – it was as though the Veil was being switched on and off! Having found the East Veil, it was a simple matter to find the West, which gave a similar result.

Can’t wait to get the 10” Schmidt Newt on it!

Hope that helps :rolleyes:

PS: OIII also removed Moonglow!

post-12699-133877323756_thumb.jpg

Hi compadres

a bit late butting in here :)

i use the UHC-S 2" in my 10" newt and also use the 1 1/4" neodymium. As the yanks would say "they're keepers".

personally i would recommend both as very good value for money, i personally like the fact that both give a very "natural" view visually ( i don't bother with the bottomless money pit of astropics) the DSO's seem to pop out with the UHC but the surrounding objects are relatively unaffected. The neo is a little cracker in small scopes even small newts.

just my personal waffle

cheers

C

• 2 months later...

The new Baader Semi APO filter is now available 8)

The Baader Semi-APO filter is one of the most advanced 'minus-violet' type filters available. Remarkably efficient and neutral, it practically disappears in use while removing most of the violet fringe! The effects are remarkable, even with small refractors. The RGB enhancement of the Neodymium substrate also makes this a superb planetary filter, particularly for Jupiter and Mars.

• 6 months later...

Archived