NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from a vacuum...

MKB001

A quick hello to everyone,

Looking to buy a decent scope and came across this site - brilliant. Tho I am now realising I know even less than I imagined... So much info!

Any astro groups in the Crewe or Cheshire area I can get some experience with?

Looking to spend about £500, do I go for simple good optics or all singing and dancing goto stuff, Tripod or dob? Sort of decided on a newt but could be persuaded elsewhere...

I am a vacuum apparantly, so expect lots of questions.

Cheers all!

MG

Hi MG,

A warm welcome to the forum. :)

Optics over gizmos any day. ;) Unless there is some overriding consideration that makes GoTo a necessity.

If you're drawn towards a Newt, then you can't go far wrong with a Dob. Easy to set up, simple to use and you get more aperture for the buck than any other design.

After all, aperture is king - along with the quality of the optics.

The 8" Skyliner 200P seems like a good compromise of aperture and manageability. Comes in well under your budget, leaving plenty spare for all the other bits you'll need - eyepieces, red light torch, star atlases and a beginner's book or two (Turn Left at Orion & The Backyard Astronomer's Guide are good ones).

Of course you could go bigger for less than 500 quid if portability isn't a consideration and/or manhandling the beastie ain't an issue.

That said, the Skymax 127 SupaTrak is a popular, well regarded beginner's 'scope too. Portable and well within budget.

I'm sure others will be along to offer their advice too.

HTH

Edit: Get the Stellarium planetarium software, if you haven't already downloaded it. Really useful.

Hi MG and welcome to SGL

I can't add much more to David's advise, 8" skywatcher dob is the way to go, if you do fancy a bigger one, I'd go have have a look at one and find out how heavy it is, a bigger scope isn't much use if it's lack of portability discourages you getting it set up.

Thanks for the welcome, just downloaded stellarium, hey it's good!

I think a dob is the way to go for now, less fiddling about and quicker to set up. Portability is not a major issue as it will generally be used in the garden! But would be sensible to get something that fits in the car I guess.

Thanks again,

MikeG

Archived