Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Been busy on me mini lathe

philj

After acquiring a basic 1880s T Cooke & Sons mount a while back I fitted my Fullerscopes 4" frac to it but because that is long the dec lock knob was out of reach so I had a look in the T Cooke catalogue of 1886 and saw they used to do an extended version. I have been on leave this week and had some brass so made an extended Dec lock screw up. Cookes used to make these out of one solid bar, cant afford that these days so screw is one part and knob is another.

Also the tube ring screws on the Fullerscopes were too short and not safe when fitting the scope so I made some brass finger nuts in the T Cooke style and fitted captive screws to the fixed section of the tube ring, much safer

Pics show short original dec lock screw and my new long one

My new tube ring nut and fullerscopes old screw

The finished articles in place.

The dec lock is now within easy reach and fitting the scope is alot safer now and they do not look too modern and spoli the overall look of the set up.

Phil

post-14930-133877442992_thumb.jpg

post-14930-133877442995_thumb.jpg

post-14930-1338774430_thumb.jpg

Cheers Mick, your welcome anytime. I hope to bring it up to the field one day when its more presentable. Ive still got to repaint the tube and build a hardwoord tripod ala T Cooke, thatll keep me busy on the light summer nights:D

Thanks guys, you know I love my Meade 127 and use it for imaging but it doesnt hold the same place in my affection as this old beat up scope and mount.

The satisfaction one gets from using a piece of kit which you have restored and improved yourself far outweighs unlimited card spending on new kit IMHO (not that I have and no doubt ever shall ever experience that unless those numbers turn up, then I will let you know);) One can live in hope

Peter I know what you mean Ive used all my stock up now I shall be popping up to the Model Engineering exhibition in May to restock on brass and ali. I got this brass off feabay and its proving a bit costly what with postage.

Phil

Archived