Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

revelation Eypieces

I have been looking at these as a potential buy for my 14 inch Dob. The 2 inch version looks the part but I have never "looked" through this eyepiece before. I am considering purchasing the full set from Telescope House, if they are any good.

Any opinions?

This might help:

It shows the actual area of sky covered by the eyepieces in the set, on your telescope, looking at the Perseus Double Cluster. Though the 42 and 50mm have different magnifications, their 'actual' field of view (area of sky covered) is the same.

(Image created using Starry Night PRO)

post-12699-133877322465_thumb.jpg

I have tried the 26 and 30mm and found them good, for the price.

If you don't mind me saying, a fast light bucket like yours is more demanding of an eyepiece; I suggest you buy less eyepieces but spend more on them. Meade's 28mm Series 5000 SWA would be a good start and will noticeably outperform any of the Revelations.

From the reviews/ opinions coming in from the US it maybe worth waiting for the Orion Stratus/ Baader Hyperion 30mm and 35mm 68 deg eyepieces to arrive over here in 2" format. They are supposed to be the cheapest way to get wide FOV in a short focal ratio scope.

• 9 months later...

From the reviews/ opinions coming in from the US it maybe worth waiting for the Orion Stratus/ Baader Hyperion 30mm and 35mm 68 deg eyepieces to arrive over here in 2" format.

Has anyone heard any more about these?

Apparently dirt cheap and won the Sky at Night test, even up against Naglers and Meades about ten times the price!

You know the way football fans shout at the TV when watching a game - I'm like that when I read group tests!!!

It wasn't that long ago that a Meade ETX80 beat a Skyliner 200P in a 'best beginner scope' group test :wink:

Apparently dirt cheap and won the Sky at Night test, even up against Naglers and Meades about ten times the price!

You know the way football fans shout at the TV when watching a game - I'm like that when I read group tests!!!

It wasn't that long ago that a Meade ETX80 beat a Skyliner 200P in a 'best beginner scope' group test :wink:

Yeah, I know, I read that. It's all about opinion. :cool: I WOULD rather spend £70 on a Moonfish EP than £500 on a Nagler though.....

Yes, ultimately it is opinion and depends on your criteria.

Wouldn't it be more useful though if the group test compared similar quality eyepieces like Pentax, Televue and Meade. And another test for affordable ultra-wides.

I have used the 30mm and 50mm Revelation's and, while they were fine for what they cost in an F10 scope I don't think they would be anywhere near so good in a short FL dob or newtonian.

One budget 2 inch that I owned for a while and was more impressed with was the Rigel 38mm SWA which I think FLO stocks. For £10 more you get better quality coatings, better overall build and, IMHO better images than the Revelations.

John

Yes, ultimately it is opinion and depends on your criteria.

Wouldn't it be more useful though if the group test compared similar quality eyepieces like Pentax, Televue and Meade. And another test for affordable ultra-wides.

You're right, I think SAN magazine sometimes tries to fit too much in. They could even have had THREE group tests, over three issues, for cheap/beginner EPs, mid range ones and premium ones.

I wish they'd do the same for scopes as well.

John, I have the 26mm 2" Rigel SWA, although not really had a chance to use it very much since I got it. Again, that got a glowing review, this time in Astronomy Now, which was why I bought one.

Archived