SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SGL5 Competition

MikeP

I have constructed a puzzle for you to try at SGL5. It is one of those word search puzzles where words are hidden in a grid of letters.

There will be an exciting prize for the winner.

Keep an eye open on the forum for an announcement if you want to know what it is.

When you arrive at Lucksall, come and find me and I'll give you a copy of the puzzle, a name badge and a label for your tent / caravan. You can hand in your entry at any time - I'll check them and announce the winner on the forum next week.

Could I ask that you let me have the badges back please. They cost enough to make it worthwhile recycling them at future star parties.

Good luck

HINT: You may want to brush up on your knowledge of star names before you set off :):):p

Mike

Wooooooooo!

First, observe the stars on it, then, you could fit wheels on the front and get your best mate to wheel you round on it!

Perhaps you could even fit a small motor....(!):):D

• 3 weeks later...

We have a winner ;)

It was a close-run thing but Mark's (mdstuart) Sons, James and Joshua, are the winners having correctly identified 66 star names.

Congratulations :D

As the observing chair is no longer available :p the first prize is a £100 credit to spend at FLO.

The top four entries read as follows:

66 - mdstuart (James & Joshua)

65 - Andrew* / blinky

64 - Michigander / Michigoose

63 - daneel

MikeP will shortly post a pdf of all the answers.

Thank-you to everyone who participated. It was a popular competition (excellent idea Mike) so we will be repeating it at future events.

Steve

Jolly well done James and Joshua. Astronomers Royal of the future.

There were quite a few entries and I was impressed with the standard. The four that Steve listed were so close that I had to do a couple of recounts to be sure of the winners,

I've attached a PDF of the answers.

Well done to everyone that entered.

Mike

StarNamesSolution.pdf

Well done all. I should have made more time, but suddenly realised it had to be in with only 13 ticked off. Knew I was never going to win, but very impressed with 66!