NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hai im new to this

Cassiopeia

Hai dar! :)

Ive just joined up. Im going to buy this telescope called: 'Skywatcher Explorer -200p EQ5 (8")'

I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with one and wanted to share their views on it.

Im welcome to critisism about it too! :p

Hi Cassiopea - I have the 200 on the HEQ5. Same scope but a more beefy mount.

Its a great bit of kit but it is rather large. Have you seen one in the flesh so to speak. Its not massive but it is a bit bulky.

With that said it gives great views and its generally well considered as a scope.

Hi Cassiopea welcome to the forum.

I have the explorer 200p/EQ5 setup and very good it it too. I get great views of both planets and galaxies and nebula and it isn't too much of a problem to hump outside although because it's a reflector, it will take at least 30 - 45 minutes to reach ambient temperature and thus, give it's best. This shouldn't be a problem, it just requires thinking ahead.

Hi Cassiopeia and welcome to the forum.

I've just recently got a 200p and I was surprised how big it was! They are fantastic scopes and you'll see very good views of the night sky.

The only problem I've had with it is the finder scope, but I'm getting a red dot one and that'll make things easier.

You'll learn a lot here and get very good advice. But as already mentioned make sure you give it at least 45 mins to cool down before you use it. If it's not at the ambient outside temperature you'll have problems focussing on objects as I found out myself.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the scope as much as I do.

Marc

I thought I post this picture to give you an idea what it looks like next to a person.

The little one is a Meade ETX 60.

Marc.

Thanks for advice and picture :D

It came in the post yesterday and i was so shocked to see how big it was! My family helped set it all up and when we finally got it outside, we were a bit confused. Because, the finderscope was ok to look through but then we couldnt see what we saw through the finderscope, through the actual telescope. (E.g when we were trying to look at saturn through the finderscope, it was fine, but when we looked through the proper eyepeice, nothing was in the eyepeice.) Did we need to do some sort of collimation with the mirrors? Is there anything we need to do to sort out the problem?

Hi cassi, and welcome. Sounds to me like you need to align the finder with the main tube.

Very easy to do, you should find it in the manual. Alignment of the finder is best done in the day. Using a low-power eyepiece, say 25mm, in the main tube, pick out a distant object (pylon, building etc..) and centre it in the eyepeice. Now look in the finder for the same object. Dont move the scope, use the adjustment screws that hold the finder to centre the object in the cross hairs.

Its a bit weird at first to orientate as the image is upside down but you will get the hang of it..

Archived