NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Aurora tonight

russ

I received an email from my local club to say 'watch the skies tonight' for a display. So checked spaceweather.com and sure enough there is indeed an alert. Then shortly after that another member of my local club emailed to say they spotted a faint display last night.

Did anyone else spot anything last night?

I haven't seen any Aurora since November 2003, Southampton is just too far south. So my fingers are crossed for tonight as the weather is going to oblige.

University of Lancaster aurora watch shows no warnings or high likelihood for yesterday or today but does show high variability which may lead to later warnings.

I have looked out these last few nights for aurora on the basis of Kp index from Spaceweather and not seen anything mid-late evening that could outshine moderate pollution.

Last time I saw from Reading was a good 10 years ago now.

Cheers

Mike

I was checking out prices of holidays today and i can get a 5 night stay in Tromsa (Norway) to see the norhern lights in Nov/Dec 2010 (flight and hotel inclusive) for 500.

blumming great bargain.

My only fear is that i am a wheelchair user and may not be able to get to the observing location.

Otherwise i would book it right now.

Hi Steve

Not sure I believe you. Why would Alaskan data be any use in the North European area ? I have had good service from Aurorawatch leading me to my two aurora observations from Reading last cycle. My alternative is POES and SAMs for Kp index and solar wind information respectively .

regards

Mike

I was observing from a dark site in Northumbria on night of 12th-13th and saw no aurora - looks like I missed the show by one night. Pity, though on the other hand it would have spoiled my deep-sky viewing!

Reminds me of the spectacular displays visible in southern England in 2005 (which I didn't see).

Woke up and noticed that there'd been a message left on the answerphone overnight. It was from my non-astronomising sister shouting at me to get out quick and watch the amazing display going on RIGHT NOW. Lots of oohs and ahhs on the message. Needless to say, I had slept right through it. DOH!

Still never seen an aurora, even on a winter visit to Iceland!

I was out observing that night too - phoned my parents and made sure they saw the show. It was a superb display. I see faint ones fairly regularly. Never seen a red one, though - guess I'd need to head much further north for that.

Hi Steve

Not sure I believe you. Why would Alaskan data be any use in the North European area ? I have had good service from Aurorawatch leading me to my two aurora observations from Reading last cycle. My alternative is POES and SAMs for Kp index and solar wind information respectively .

regards

Mike

Hello,

The Alaskan data is fed from many sources I believe... i have found their data to be much more accurate than others especially aurorawatch who often fail to predict peaks in activity AND are known for more than the occasional false alarm also...

Steve

Archived