NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello!

gareththegeek

My wife and I were recently given a Bresser 70mm/900mm refractor. I understand not to expect too much from this scope, but hey, the price was right! :)

We are currently planning on playing about with this telescope for a while to try to get the most out of it and if we're still interested in a few months we will upgrade to a better one.

So I thought I'd pop in and say hi and also ask a couple of questions.

So far we've managed to resolve Mizar binary star and (amongst other things) had a look at M44 (Beehive cluster) which looked fantastic! We've had a look at Venus, Mercury and Mars with the scope but no matter how much we zoom in it just looks like a star (maybe a little dimmer and rounder). We want to have a look at the moon but he hasn't been around recently.

What other objects should we be able to see with this cheapo scope and will we see anything more if we look at Saturn?

Thanks for reading,

G

Hello and welcome to SGL.

Your scope is a little restricted in the aperture stakes but you will still be able to see Saturn's rings and at least two of it's moons.

You will be able to split a few binary stars and see the Orion Nebula. It will be great on the moon and other planets.

As for galaxies you may be able to see M31, M81 and M82, don't expect to much with these.

Hope this helps.

Hello and welcome

Try the open clusters in Auriga (its shaped a bit like a pentagon with a bright star Capella in the top right. These clusters, M36, M37 and M38 are more distant than the Beehive but look great in a small telescope or big binoculars. Globular clusters are also quite bright so will also show up well. M3 and M5 above and below the bright reddish star Arcturus in the East and, best of all, M13 in Hercules, are good targets at present. If you haven't found it yet the free planetarium software 'Stellarium' is an excellent way of finding targets.

www.stellarium.org

Hi Gareth and welcome to the group :)

Have a go at Venus and Mercury just for fun - they're both naked eye right now. Saturns a must of course - don't know how much joy you'll get with Mars cos it's getting pretty small nowadays.

Hi Gareth & Mrs. Gareth, welcome to SGL. Have a look for some of the coloured double stars as well, Albireo in Cygnus is fantastic, you may have to stay up to see that at the moment, but it will be around later in the summer.

Hi Gareth,

Welcome to SGL. Another recommendation for Turn Left at Orion - it's a list of 100 objects visible with a small scope along with very useful finder diagrams.

Andrew

Archived