Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Contol of my cpc925 via pc

Hi to all on SGL,

I am unable to control my scope via pc although I can control my canon1000d without any problems. The camera has a series of linked usb to hub cables running a lenght of 20 metres. The scope is connected via usb to mini telephone plug over the same lenght.I have updeted the driver and handset software from celestron but am still unable to get control. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks Alan

Is the scope cable actually mini-telephone (RJ45?) to USB? I run a Nexstar 8se, and the cable is RJ45 to serial. I have to use a serial to usb dongle to communicate to it. Also 20m is quite long for USB. Are you using a repeater cable?

Hi BlueAstra,

Yes I have the same connections for my 925,I did wonder if the length was the prolem but when I bought it I asked the supplier that very question. Is there an alternative I could try?

I have seen some recent threads on using Stellarium to control your scope and wondered if I should try that option but suppose that would mean buying yet more cables.

Alan

Hi Alan

On my cpc800 I have a serial (rs232) cable coming off the handset connection - this goes into a serial/usb converter and then runs direct to the computer. I keep both the camera and scope lines on separate usb ports and extend them using active usb cables (although they can be hubbed into one line).

If you've hubbed them together I would try seperating the lines first.

Cheers :(

Hi Kim,

Yes I do have a series of usbs connected to active hubs for the camera but the scope cable is not,just an RJ22 connected to the handset then a serial to usb connecter at the other. As I said I asked about that when I purchased it, and was told it would be ok.

Thanks

Alan

Hmmm... the connections sound correct - of course there may be a duff cable in there somewhere - possibly snagged without realising it. My control software is NexRemote - didn't try Stellarium yet so can't comment on that. I'd be tempted to test the usb's on other devices to make sure they're ok, and switch them between usb ports too to ensure you don't have a port hardware problem. To be thorough you could remove/reload drivers. Then go sequentially through the virtual ports.

Can't think of any other diagnostics right now - if I do I'll let you know :(

Try direct connection without a long usb, ie Telescope/RJ45-serial/serial-usb/computer. Go to device manager and check which port the serial dongle is using. You will probably need to know this to tell the software (ASCOM/Stellariumscope/Cartes du Ciel, etc) which port is used for communication. Note the port number changes if you plug the usb dongle in a different usb socket on the pc.

Archived