Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Light Pollution Filters and the Moon

RichieJarvis

I don't know about imaging specifically, but just as a general observation: somebody here recently suggested using an LP filter as a moon viewing filter. I tried that a few days ago using an LP filter which works quite well on the street lights we have round here, and found it did very little to block the moon's light. So I doubt a similar filter would help very much for imaging.

The Neodymium filter is now on the nosepiece of the SXV-H9 - I've shot all filters through it, and it does not seem to have any detrimental effect I can see so far. Now all I need is a moon, to see if it helps with the LRGB imaging!

Watch this space.....

Cheers,

Richie

I don't know about imaging specifically, but just as a general observation: somebody here recently suggested using an LP filter as a moon viewing filter. I tried that a few days ago using an LP filter which works quite well on the street lights we have round here, and found it did very little to block the moon's light. So I doubt a similar filter would help very much for imaging.

That might have been me who said that. I have used a SWLPF as a moon filter and found the view very pleasing. The moon was near full when i observed it and the LPF somehow gave better contrast to surface details that a moon filter doesnt offer when the moon is near full. Also the colour of the moon through the LPF was more natural and not tinted.

That's just my observations on it.

Archived