Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion goto dobs

I bet we won't see it here for under £1000 (or even under £1200)

I can't see why not.. Prices are very similar to those of SW flexitube Auto, which, I heard, can be possibly upgradable to GO-TO.. (Unless you're thinking a 50-incher one :( )

Marius

Edited by zhgutas

The XT10g is likely to be £999. And the XT12g will most likely be £1499. I've come up with those figures by comparing the US price ($1799) for XX14i with the current UK price (£1699). Other Orion scopes follow the same trend, so it's a safe bet to deduct 100 from the US price and that's your UK price.

For those that want a GOTO dob, it's the only official option as Skywatcher don't have one. And when Skywatcher finally do get their GOTO version out, you can bet bottom dollar it will be approx £100 cheaper than the Orion equiv.

Edited by russ

Very tempting. The hand controller in the pictures is branded "synscan", isnt that the sy-watcher system?

It is indeed, Orion use the same system for their mounts.

Edited by russ

The hand controller in the pictures is branded "synscan", isnt that the sy-watcher system?

Was thinking the same! Would be an interesting move to try that handset on a SW dob. Or do you reckon the motors are not suitable for this, quite like un-modded HEQ5? :(

Marius

I think the motors are okay on the Skywatcher, just they couldn't get a reliable GOTO. I suppose the Orion has a different firmware to the Skywatcher handsets, so maybe worth a try but how much do the handsets cost?

Here's a bit from the Orion blurb, it sounds awesome, really does. Can be used in manual mode or even moved manually and still keep it's GOTO alignment.

High-torque servo motors guided by two pairs of high-resolution encoders then slew the telescope right to your object of interest - any of over 42,000 objects in the GoTo controller's database. No more nudging the telescope tube continuously to keep the object from drifting out of the field of view, either. The XTg automatically tracks the object's motion, keeping it centered in the eyepiece while you savor the view. What's more, the closed-loop electronics of the XTg let you move the telescope manually - or endure the accidental bump - without losing orientation for accurate, automated GoTo pointing!

At the moment it has no competition at all. I think if you want a GOTO dob, that tracks but can also be used as manual dob, this is the best there is.

Edited by russ

• 12 years later...

I have the Orion XX16G. I have the Synscan controller and added a GPS unit to it. Fabulous with incredible gotos all night long! I run the whole thing on a Talent Cell for an entire night. at f:4.4 NO coma even in the ES 82 degree UWA eyepieces. The optics and the mount are simply amazing. I'm up and running 10 minutes after I'm set up. By the same token my C11 on it's CGEM II mount is up in about 45 minutes. Even with added calibration stars the EQ mount won't outperform the Orion GoTo DOB! I've seen 16+ mag stars with the 16" as well....And it gives up nothing to the planets either. I use a laser Cateye collimation system on this thing and so star images are clean right to the edge of the field of view. No longer made, I got mine used for $1,700 in the US...worth every penny and a steal at that. 

16 AT MEADOWS SIDE.jpg

• Like 1

On 25/08/2022 at 15:46, quigley said:

I have the Orion XX16G. I have the Synscan controller and added a GPS unit to it. Fabulous with incredible gotos all night long! I run the whole thing on a Talent Cell for an entire night. at f:4.4 NO coma even in the ES 82 degree UWA eyepieces. The optics and the mount are simply amazing. I'm up and running 10 minutes after I'm set up. By the same token my C11 on it's CGEM II mount is up in about 45 minutes. Even with added calibration stars the EQ mount won't outperform the Orion GoTo DOB! I've seen 16+ mag stars with the 16" as well....And it gives up nothing to the planets either. I use a laser Cateye collimation system on this thing and so star images are clean right to the edge of the field of view. No longer made, I got mine used for $1,700 in the US...worth every penny and a steal at that. 

16 AT MEADOWS SIDE.jpg

I hope they bring it back.  I would cut the check tomorrow.  Unfortunately i just looked at their website and even the push to scopes that were there with expected delivery dates in November are gone

Those are great for people that want full on go to scopes.  I think the price, somewhere around 4600 to 4800 becomes price prohibitive for a lot of people.  I would be happy with a push to or a DSC system which would knock the price down by at least a grand.