Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Summer came early this morning

Woke up at 2.00 am this morning and noticed the sky was pretty clear. Just couldn't resist a session. Saturn was high and beautiful and Ursa Major was well placed to show off its galaxies (M81, M82, M51) and managed to see 2 of the Leo Triplet (M65, M66).

Then looked to the East and the Summer Triangle was well above the horizon (Vega, Deneb and Altair) so had a preview of the summer 'lollipops' - the double star Albireo, M57 (Ring Nebula), M56 Globular, M13 Globular, M92 Globular, M15 Globular, M27 Dumbbell Nebula. Absolutely beautiful - mild, no dew and no moon. Finished off with the dawn chorus.

Just ran Stellarium and at 5.45am (in a very bright sky) Jupiter is really hugging that horizon. You'll certainly need an excellent Eastern horizon and a high elevation i reckon. Good luck ;)

South China Seas, a fairly good eastern horizon, 21 degrees N. Elevation not too good though, about 20-25 meters, if I'm really keen I could push that to about 80m, but it means climbing a very tall ladder at about 05:30 o'clock hundred hours, a.m. Somehow, I can't see that happening really!

A lovely clear morning, all except for that improtant 15-20 degrees, to the east, where the cloud banks are made! Still, I saw a large hawk (could have been a young eagle) snoozing on the walkway. We both got a bit of a start, he tried flying away but appeared hurt and rested on the deck again. I walked right up to him, passed him and then he managed to take off and appeared ok. He must have still been muggy our first encounter. So it was worth being out early to see that.

Archived