NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

QHY9 Colour or not

Catanonia

Convince me, so close to making the purchase.

QHY9 Colour or Mono with filters for an extra £400.

Considering I am coming from a DSLR modded.

Alot of money, about £1800 for the mono with filter wheels, but is it worth it considering the UK etc or will the colour version do.

Help me out, give me pro's and con's please.

Cat

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a certain argument that says....

RGB with a mono doesnt take that much longer than OSC to get similar results... and you will have the better result with Narrowband and the mono than Narrow band and the OSC...Steve L does Narrowband with OSC CCD...

Let the dedicated CCD crowd come in with their opinions......

Are you considering any of the other 8300 based cameras... ?

I studied this quite carefully using Atik 4000 mono and colour, both of which I have here.

For a given image quality mono is faster - yes really. But getting something workable is maybe quicker in the colour. Losing Narrowband is a huge price to pay though. I do like both but if I only had one it would be mono. The OSC is one of those luxuries in which I can indulge because I run a B and B for astronomers and need simultaneous imaging facilities! (And trying to run two LRGB images at the same time was a nightmare.)

OSC likes longer exposures. How's your guiding?

Final quality? Not much in it, less than you'd think. I get the feeling that faint things are better in the OSC but M42 came out a draw for me.

I agree that you should look at something like the Atik 8300. Incredible price and fine chip.

Cheers,

Olly

I did hear about some QA issues with QHY9's but I'm not sure if that was just the early models and it's been sorted, internet myth or something else but if you're laying out a few quid on this then I'd do my homework and choose carefully.

OSC or Mono? Mono everytime for me personally. I'd rather have a half decent mono shot rather than a noisier colour shot given how little clear skies we've had this season plus the option of doing narrowband (false colour or Ha mono) swings it for me.

Tony..

nope, some of them do fog up...not a myth...
I also heard about problems with the mechanical shutter sticking too, which would worry me.

Tony..

I can happily report that these are "old" problems, weren't a significant problem with UK stock and have been resolved, no need for anybody to worry.

bern

I agree with everyone that monochrome with filters is probably the 'best' option in absolute terms (sensitivity, suitability for narrowband etc.).

But it's worth thinking about what you want to get out of it. There's a considerable extra cost to monochrome, especially with larger chips and 2" filters (take a look at what LRGB plus Ha, [OIII] and [sII] collectively cost in that format). If you're after the best possible results then it's money that needs to be spent - unless you've got the skill of Greg/Noel! - but if you're after good results and some fun imaging then there's a lot to be said in my opinion for the ability to 'point and shoot' with OSC.

I'm going to move to a monochrome -8300 this summer, but only because of LP forcing me down the narrowband route. Under better skies i'd likely go OSC.

GOod news, thanks Bern... the fog one was quite common on the older models then?

Maybe, but not in the UK Nick, I waited to see how the camera worked out first ;)

I think only one of my earliest imports had that issue, it was resolved fairly quickly by adding a small amount of heating to the window.

This is a similar fix to that used on some of the Artemis cameras.

QHY9 cameras have had the modification built in for some time now.

bern

Anybody comparing a QHY, Atik or Starlight Xpress camera would do well to visit the relavant user groups. In particular look for comments made by experienced owners. It is wishful thinking to believe that they are all essentially the same product. The design, manufacture and materials used varies considerably.

As for mono v colour: If you have a sky like Greg Parker's or Olly Penrice's then the convenience of OSC will be attractive, otherwise the mono sensor with filters is more sensitive and more capable.

HTH ;)

Wow Nick, I remember the days when you wouldn't be seen dead with a Meade - like Kryptonite to Superman ;)

bern

Try a 285 which can be a guide cam from hell... and also a colour compositing cam for the 314L...which then switches to guide duty for the other scope in the SBS setup...whilst the DSI-III adds colour data, to augment the narrowband/mono data from the 314L

Method in my madness...:-)...and after playing with the 5000 triplets, Meade have come back somewhat with a bang..

Archived