Dew Shield

A wee while ago I made my own dew shield out of some material very similiar to a camping mat and painted the inside black as has been recommended to me. Recently however the paint has started to flake off onto the lens. Anyone had similiar problems?

I never painted mine. Being a flexible material it's hard to imagine any paint remaining in place. I found a mat that was green on one side and black on the other. Just made the sure the black side was on the inside. Someone else i know bought some black felt from Hobby Craft and used spray glue to hold the felt firmly in place.

I would be inclined to ditch the painted the dew shield and start again.

Russ

I went to our local camping shop (Oswald Bailey) and they had a camping mat that was more of a matt finish on the black side and only cost £3.99. This is going back 3 years mind. I think it will be fine as long as it not a mirror finish.

My camping mat shield on the 6" was sprayed matt black on the inside some 20 years ago!

I agree, like me, after a few years bits started to fall off;) All I did was give it a good brushing with a pretty hard nailbrush; a good shake and wipe down with my wife's favourite dishtowel (!!) and it's as good as new... I'll probably wait another ten years or so before I do it again..

Ken

Archived