TMB Planetary EP

Are the TS exactly the same as TMB (with a different badge) or are they clones? I have the TMB 6mm and like it a lot.

There seem to be 2 varieties of the TS planetaries - the rounder looking ones and the ones which look identical to the TMB / Burgess Planetaries but with blue printing on them. I'm pretty sure Russ told me that he felt the latter ones were slightly better than the former.

There seem to be 2 varieties of the TS planetaries - the rounder looking ones and the ones which look identical to the TMB / Burgess Planetaries but with blue printing on them. I'm pretty sure Russ told me that he felt the latter ones were slightly better than the former.
Yes, stick to the squared off looking model. I bought the rounder model from TS and found it wasn't upto the same standard as the original, both build and optical quality were below the original.

The original Burgess TMB 6mm is still available too. Price is roughly the same as the TS badged models.

Scopes'n'skies carry the latest 6mm Series II TMB for £48 delivered. While SCS Astro carry the whole range but are showing out of stock, they are £55.

I'm guessing you'll be wanting something in the 6-8mm range to work well with the C6 on the planets?

Well worth getting one, brilliant series of eyepieces.

Russ

The 6mm seems to be the only one of the series II planetary eyepieces that's regularly available in the UK. That's why I ordered my set (7-3.2mm) from High Point Scientific in the US. The postage was a killer, but it still worked out slightly cheaper than getting them in the UK and I had no problems with the supplier.

Usual rules of getting stuff from overseas suppliers apply. Caveat emptor and all that.

The Telescope Service Planetary HR series is the same as the TMB/Burgess Planetary series.

I'm not certain, but I think the II version of the TMBs are also the same optically.

The non "HR" TS ones are inferior to the HRs.

Archived