Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ALT-AZ OR EQ

After reading in the DIY section about making a Dob mount for a scope which is normally eq mounted, I thought I might have a go as I thought the use of the dovetail screw threads to create two pivot points was an elegant solution and as a newby to Astronomy I confess I am struggling a bit with the EQ mount.

I intend to use it with my Explorer 150p like a larger version of a Heritage 130p.

Serves me right my heart said Explorer eq, my head said Skyliner 150p Dob.

As so often happens emotion won over practicality.

Given that a scope is purely for visual observing which mount would you choose Alt-az or EQ ?

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/98189-building-dob-base.html

Given that a scope is purely for visual observing which mount would you choose Alt-az or EQ ?

It's a personal thing I guess but I've always much preferred alt-azimuth mounts over equatorials. I know that nudging to track at high power can be a pain and it is probably more relaxing to view planets at high power with a driven mount but I love the "dump it down and get on with the viewing" aspect of the alt-azimuth.

But I'm sure you will get a mix of views on this one :headbang:

I'm sure your right John & Mick, Given good conditions with the chance to polar align and a motor drive, a lengthy session with an EQ mounted scope would be perfect but for a grab a chance when you can scenario I can see the merit of a simple mount.

I've just come in from observing double stars at 340x with my alt-az - it does take some concentration but it's also rather satisfying. Of course Naglers help lessen the amount you have to nudge ..... :headbang:

Having both is useful and I swap around as the mood takes me which translates to: how cold is it and how lond do I want to spend setting up and taking down. on the occasions when I'm looking at an object with high mag and using the EQ mount I'm usually glad that I did, on the other hand I do like the, dump it on the lawn at a moment notice, have a cuppa or two whilst it cools and out, mentality.

This year, I will be building my obsy, there is no question that the EQ will be permanently set up then and the dob mount will be for star parties, dark sites etc.

I started off with an alt-az mount, then bought an eq expecting not to use the alt-az much again, but it gets an outing about half the time. It's so easy and light to setup you can chuck it out in the garden for a 5 minute peek at the sky. If you forced me to choose one it would probably be the alt-az mount.

Archived