NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

buying second hand

It will be obvious if the coatings have been damaged, as they should normally have a lovely purple/blue sheen to them ...if you are a member of your local astro club, someone is likely to have an 8 inch SCT you can have a look at.

Don't worry if the optics don't look clean though. A bit of dirt is inevitable, as are dew marks.

If you can pick up an LX200 classic, you will get a great scope, but whatever you buy, try to see it in action if you possibly can.

I bought a secondhand SCT a few years back, and although I'd seen it slewing when I viewed it, it had major DEC tracking issues, and I had to replace the motors.

The celestron scopes are also very good, but I don't have experience of them, just the Meades, but I'm sure someone will be along who has.

If you find a scope that's not in your area, and need it looking at, there are members of this forum all over who I'm sure would help.

Cheers

Rob

One of the things to look out for in an older SCT of 8" or more is mirror flop. Basically this means that the mirror shifts slightly as you tilt the scope - typically as you cross the zenith, and this puts the scope slightly out of collimation which is very frustrating whether you are observing or imaging. It's difficult to spot unless you get a chance to observe with the scope so the best you can do is ask if it's an issue with the scope concerned and hope the seller is open with you.

I know with Meade SCT's that there is an easily installed lock available to deal with mirror flop. You unlock, focus, and then lock the mirror.

They are pretty cheap too, which is always good :).

I completely upgraded my 10 inch LX200 classic, after fixing the motors, and it was a great scope which I made a mistake selling later.

Cheers

Rob

Archived