Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is this Atmospheric disturbance or collimation

Hi all, below is a video I managed to capture last night of Betelguse, and I was wondering if someone could me if this is Atmospheric Disturbance, cube turrents or Collimation issues with my scope, as I dont want to go messing with my scope for no reason as I am still learning so dont fully know these type of issues yet and tell which is which.

If you can approximately tell from the video I would be greatful. I tried out my Bahitov Mask on this last night and found it very useful with focusing. Link is here. Thanks.

That looks like atmospheric disturbance to me - objects appear to "bubble and boil" when the seeing isn't too good.

Unless Betelgeuse is going supernova that is. In which case get it on record, could be the last thing we all see lol

I'd go with the atmospheric disturbance.

A steady night with steady seeing should show it better.

Take a video of the slightly out of focus image i.e. a small disk; this will show tube currents easier as "smoke plumes" going across the disk. Collimation will show as the central black disk being "non-central" to the doughnut.

Ken

Thanks all for the replies, I havent rushed to adjust collimation yet as the weather have been sold cold when I have been out with the scope, and the atmospheric conditions, plus my body heat. Thanks for looking at the video and giving me some feedback.

Well if it is going supernova then I got it on disk, I will send it get it on record as soon as I get confirmation.... LOL, if there is time.

Archived