Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

More remote control madness

A strange place to have an idea... the shower...lol.

In a bid to further automate or remotely control things ive had the idea of using Remote Assistance to enable me to keep an eye on PHD while im indoors. Ive already been able to remotely connect to the laptop and view the PHD graph and contol the D60 settings remotely (using camera control pro).

I know I wont be able to see whats captured in the main PHD window, but it does allow me to see whats happening on the graph - so if it did lose tracking for some reason, I would be able to see it from the PC indoors.

It would be nice if i could get it to automatically beam the subs back to the PC indoors, but im only on wireless G so the time it would take to upload would be way too long for my taste (maybe time for an upgrade?).

Has anybody else tried this yet? :eek:

You can use a program like TightVNC or RealVNC to link two PC's together. You put the server version on the laptop and the client version of the program on the indoors PC. This would give you full access to the desktop of the outside PC on your indoors PC. I dont see why you would have a problem uploading files on a wireless G network unless the signal strength is so low that it is retrying too much.

If you have XP pro or Vista or Windows 7 on the outside machine then you can use windows own remote control program.

The advantage with VNC it can work across different operating systems

Regards

Kevin

Yeah, the windows remote control prog is what ive been using so far. This machine is running XP64 and the lappy in the shed is on Vista and ive hand no issues so far (fingers crossed). Youre right that the signal strength isnt great at the bottom of the garden, to fix that i will need to place the router nearer the window (which means buying more extention cables), then rig the Camera control pro to allow enough time for the file transfer before trying to take the next sub (probably 10-15 seconds).

Been using VNC for ages to keep my eye on whats happening in the observatory when Ive been Imaging, only problem I have had is the screen refresh rate with SN6 which doesent work very well....means I have togo outside to change targets

Been using VNC for ages to keep my eye on whats happening in the observatory when Ive been Imaging, only problem I have had is the screen refresh rate with SNP6 which doesent work very well....means I have togo outside to change targets, this is one thing I hoped would improve when I hardwired the obsy network rather than WIFI.

Hmmm, I would have thought a 1gb lan would have sorted your refresh rate out :eek: still, its not so bad only having to go out to change targets! Ahhh... the day when its fully remote would be a good one! :evil6:

I guess that figures out as the limitation of the method, not unless you can tweak things a little (but ive no idea on how to do that - yet). Anyways, im gonna set up soon so we will see if it all works as planned.

Archived