Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

eclipse cassegrain

Yep i had the Eclipse Mak 6 for a very brief period.

Here's a quick run down:

Build quality, paint, fitments, finder etc were all superior to anything in the Skywatcher line up. It looked and felt very nice.

It benefited from an SCT thread at the rear which was a huge plus point. And certainly gives it an edge over the Skymax range in that will accept all Meade and Celestron accessories.

I think I must have been lucky with mine as it star tested well. And on the one night where it was given reasonable time to cool the views were pretty good. Not as good as the ED100 but given enough time to cool it could have improved further.

Image shift from the focuser was mild. On the scale of things, where a Skymax 127 is perfect and a Meade SCT is terrible. The Eclipse was about on a par with a Celestron C8 (middle of the road). There was some shift but not enough to throw the object out of the field of view at high power.

I sold the scope not due to any actual fault with this particular model but a fault with the design. A fault that afflicts all Maks and SCt's.....Unacceptable cool down!!!!! Some people have no problem with this, others live with it and me, well i can't tolerate it.

Regards

Russ

Archived