Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Any tips? Just got my first scope!

Hi all..

Just been given the good news that a largish parcel has arrived home... Been told that the box cover says....

Skywatcher Skymax 127 - AZ Goto Synscan

Thank you James and Steve at FLO. You chased the importer with a vengeance and it was delivered in time for some viewing tonight

From reading various posts on the Mak, I've got the tips:

- collimate the scope

- make a dew-shield from cardboard (cheapo option)

- get a power tank

- put a small sandbag to keep the mount steady

- wrap up warm

are there any other tips and suggestions (or warnings) that can be given?

This first bit of good news I can give you is that you don't have to collimate the Mak 127, it's ready collimated and fixed. That is one significant thing you won't have to worry about.

The Mak127 is also a fine lunar/planetary scope.

have fun.

I would be amazed if the 127 needed collimating, so you can almost certainly strike a line through that ;)

Cardboard is okay as a quick temporary dew shield but a cheap camping mat for £2.99 makes a better option.

Powertank is a must for Synscan. Maplins do a good deal for a 17Ah unit, costs £29.99. Sometimes it's on offer for £19.99.

Wrap up warm is the best advice, especially at the moment......it's bitterly cold!

Learn the scope and mount on your first few nights. Perhaps anticipate some problems or a learning curve so you don't get too downbeat.

Remember not all nights are created equal. If you get a poor view through the scope it's more than likely down to a poor sky.

Allow the planets to rise out of the horizon before piling in. The view just gets better and better as the planet rises higher into the sky.

A red torch is handy as it saves your night vision.

The Moon is blinding to look at. Perhaps budget £5-10 for an ND (Neutral Density filter) filter.

Russ

cheers all for the tips...

Glad to know that I don't need to collimate. Was reading about it and it was kinda looking a bit daunting.

The 17Ah power tank isn't on offer at maplins, still at £29.99

I haven't opened the package yet but doesn't this Synscan mount come with a mains power supply unit as part of the package?

Maks rarely need collimating unlike reflectors so leave it alone. A camping mat dew shield is a good idea as cardboard tends to soak up the dew and eventually disintegrates. Allow the telescope to cool down outside for about a hour before using it. Read the instructions several times before going out with the telescope and get to know the controls so that you are not fumbling around in the dark trying to find the right button. Then read the manual again.

Peter

... want to keep the fumbling around in the dark to minimum... ;)

Oh I guess the finderscope will need aligning with the scope?

Finderscope alignment is helpful with a Mak as the field of view is so restricted. But once Synscan is running it will hopefully put everything in the eyepiece for you. Should just need the finder for the alignment stars.

Not sure what comes with the scope in the way of power supply. My last Synscan scope just came with a cigarette lead to connect to some 12v supply.

Synscan itself is very fussy about power, does some funny things when power is not right. I found the Powertank always had to be tip top.

Archived