Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What's that golden orb in the sky?

Talitha

;) Wow, it was actually clear today! ;):D

It's been ages since i've been able to do any solar observing, so needless to say i was thrilled to see the clouds clear out this afternoon. Here's Sol and some of his freckles... i sincerely hope this is just the beginning. :p

The wind was gusting at 22mph, and considering the heat wave effect seen in the eyepiece i'd guesstimate that the seeing was about a 2 of 5 (zero being absolute jigglymush, lol). Nonetheless, i had a lot of fun.

It's still clear (almost 8pm here now) but the wind chill will be -25C by the time Mars clears the trees. I still haven't seen it this time around and am guessing it's not going to happen, either. Still in all, it was fun to sit in the sunshine and finally get some winter viewing done.

Clear and steady skies, and thanks for looking. :)

post-13732-133877426119_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone, let's hope cycle 24 is finally waking up. ;)

The actual sketch time for the sunspots was about 5 minutes per group, with at least 10 minutes studying each group prior to sketching them. So that's 15 minutes per group, plus another 5 minutes for the limb shading... a bit over 1/2 hour in all.

I was detecting the faculae too, but the combination of the wavy seeing and the shaking of the scope was giving me an eyestrain headache so i didn't pursue them. Maybe next time. ;)

Archived