Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

usb/software webcam

When you say max number, do you mean how many Philips Toucam you can connect at once to a computer? If that is what you mean then the answer is one, you can only use one driver type at a time. I have been trying a workround of this problem for a year or so and although there is one or two programmes around they are a hit or miss affair. I have a number of usb cams attached to a computer but all have different drivers so can work at the same time. If anyone out there has a better answer tell me please ;) .

Jim

Re software. I have managed to get the older ToUcam's to work under XP, and Vista.... don't know about Win7.

The capture and processing software recommended by Red Dwarf provide a good starting point.

Additional processing ( after stacking) can also be done by IRIS (freeware).

Ken

When you say max number, do you mean how many Philips Toucam you can connect at once to a computer? If that is what you mean then the answer is one, you can only use one driver type at a time. I have been trying a workround of this problem for a year or so and although there is one or two programmes around they are a hit or miss affair. I have a number of usb cams attached to a computer but all have different drivers so can work at the same time. If anyone out there has a better answer tell me please ;) .

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for reply.Thinks i should have explained more clearly !Where the scope is sited to the shed is approx 3-4 metres.So need to now how many extra usb leads i can reasonbly use without any loss of signal etc.

Thanks to all for replies.Ta Rob ;)

Ok, USB, this is a magical system ;) . Now, as said I have a number of webcams attached to a computer, none of the cameras are located within the house. I have a number of ways I achieve this, before I go further I buy cheap as possible webcams so that I don't feel bad in butchering them.

The first way I extend the range is to cut the cable in the centre and drop in a cat5 cable cut to about 10', for each usb wire I attach two cat5 wires. Before I have attached the cables I have prepared a number of heatshrink sleeves (B&Q) and when I have the cable as I want it and tested it I then shrink the heatshrink sleeves. I have gone out to 20' and camera worked but that was pushing the limit.

The secomd way is to get a pair of USB extension adapters off fleabay, cat5 cable and you can get a webcam out to 150'. At the moment I have a waterproofed cam in a pond at the bottom of the garden and is attached to the computer in this way.

Have been doing this a number of years now so will come in usefull having a USB hub attached to the scope for odds an ends ;) .

Jim

Archived