Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Why am I seeing my spider and secondary?

Okay, sorry if this is a stupid question! I've just go a 38mm Panaview eyepiece for looking at large DSOs and starfields. I've just tried popping it into my scope for a quick daylight test, and as soon as I put my eye up to it I was aware of a faint dark shape, visible in the field of view and moving around as I moved my head.

Pulling my eye back, until it was a few inches back from the eyepiece, I could see in the lens a view which looked a lot like I see when I look into the focuser with the eyepiece missing: a bright circle with the secondary mirror holder and spider visible in the middle. It's this secondary shadow that I'm seeing faintly bobbing around in my vision when I look through the EP.

I hope that description makes sense. Anybody know why this is happening? Is there anything I can do about this?

Your seeing the "exit pupil" which is just a scaled down version of the aperture.

If you hold your arm across the end of the tube you'll see the thick black line across the exit pupil.

The size ( diameter) of the disk in the eyepiece is equal to the aperture/ magnification.

Ken

38mm in an f/5 scope? 7.6mm exit pupil .... sorry, that's FAR TOO BIG, you might "get away with it" with a refractor (where the only effect is to lose light grasp) but you will get that "shadowing" effect with a scope with an obstructed aperture.

I've got a 40mm (from when I had an f/10 scope)

The exit pupil size is the focal length of the eyepiece divided by the focal ratio of the scope. 40/10 = 4mm, fine (when it's dark). 40/4.8 = 8.33mm, no-one has a pupil that size ... if it's REALLY dark you may not notice the shadowing, but it's there, all the same.

Archived