Narrowband

White balance

Uranium235

Just a thought really....

Is it worth changing the white balance to "Tungsten" on the DSLR or leaving it at auto?

Im guessing that the Tungsten setting might lead to false colour, but from what ive seen it seems to do a good job on suppressing orange skyglow (albeit at a wide angle). It would be good to know whether its worth bothering with as I cant afford to waste the very few & precious cloud free nights we're getting at the moment :)

Oh btw, we should be up for a break in the could tomorrow night (Friday, Midlands area), but dont expect it to last long!

An example of two 30s subs of M45. One on auto, the other with the white balance set to Tungsten. No filters, just prime focus.

post-18171-133877424758_thumb.jpg

post-18171-133877424765_thumb.jpg

Yes I previously noticed this effect. The thing to remember is that white balance is purely software - you are not changing the sensor only the data. You can do exactly the same by imaging in RAW and fixing it in Photoshop later. Also if taking multiple shots and stacking them click the button to reset white balance and it sorts it for you.

Shame is, im not using Photoshop (dont have it), maybe I should take a look at it then. Just been taking a look at the Deepskystacker RAW settings, theres not much to choose from so I will try Tungsten again @ the next session. It might work well on M45 as its mostly blue, but whether it will wreck M42 or 31 I just dont know (yet) :)

EDIT:

Just had a brainwave.... how about a even mix of both white balance settings when stacking? It might produce interesting results.

If the cloud would go I would try it out too

lol yeah... I second that! You might be lucky between 6-9pm tomorrow. Its a good thing I get chucked out of the office early on Fridays :) that will give me time to set the mount up before it gets dark.

Don't worry about White balance. Let deep sky stacker work it out during processing. If you set dss in the raw options so that neither wb option is selected and set the stacking to rgb align (I think that's right) not per channel anyway. Dss will create a White balance for the image. This removes the colour casts from lp filters also.

Archived