Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars with 150mm scope

Towa

Made a drawing on the evening of the 2nd. Used a 150mm f/8 refractor and was extremely pleased

by the performance of the scope. Syrtis Major was nice, Serpentis was seen slipping underneath

Sabaeus. Dark features in Meridiani and Sabaeus. Eden was bright. Brown features were observed

extending up towards Acidilium on the limb. Large bright cloud over Acidilium area on the limb.

Two other bright limb haze areas was observed. The NPC, appeared brighter on the preceding side.

Again binoviewers used with 20mm Antares plossl eyepieces.

post-17619-133877424745_thumb.jpg

A 6" refractor must be exciting to use on mars. Excellent sketch. Spot on with what I was seeing at the same CM on the 1st. That limb brightening south of Sabeaus ended up being a sustained area of brightness as it moved further onto the disc that night I seem to remember.

Excellent drawing Towa :)

I saw something relatively similar in my Carton frac that night. ie: polar cap with dark band underneath and the 'L shaped dark region.'

Albeit with waaaaay lower image scale of course. ;)

Cheers,

Andy.

Thank you guys.

The Physical size of the 6 inch is quite a size compared to its little brother the 120mm.

Having said that I have it mounted in the observatory on a Vixen GP mount and it handles

the scope exceedingly well. BTW, pictures of the observatory are being used in a book due out next year.

Yes the brightening under Sabaeus turned out to be very large. On my drawing made three hours later

it was extending all the way across the southern limb.

Many Thanks D25

The scope is a Sky-watcher Evostar 150mm f/8 Achromat. I have been extremely pleased by the performance of it and the smaller 120mm version that I have. Both scopes give views that are every bit as good as my old Vixen achro scopes. Last night on Mars, you could see darker knot like structure within the Syrtis Major, I was very impressed.

I just sold a really sharp Helios 6" F/8 as I had too many scopes but I wish I had kept it. They are very good for planetary and quite light for a 6". I doubt I would see darker knot like structures as my eyes are not as good as yours, although with practice I am starting to see a little more.

Sounds like the Helios was a good scope D25

If you get a good one, then the 150mm f/8 achro's are extremely good indeed.

I now feel that the Evostar will meet all my needs. I have an APO scope, but to be honest I

cannot ever see myself buying another APO scope. I'm just liking my 120 and 150mm

achro's too much.

Regarding the eye and seeing, I spent 45 years with a form of undiagnosed word and numerical dyslexia

( I have to use a spell checker to write my posts), its blighted my life regarding the type of work I've been able to do,

yet it seems that I was blessed with extremely good eyesight. I'm now 50 years old,

and never worn glasses, just had a recent eye test and still do not need the aid of glasses.

What is it they say, give with one hand and take with the other.

Archived