Web Cam Recomendations

Hello - I am looking for a modern CCD web cam suitable for astro photography as most recommended cams seem to be obsolete or unobtainable. Also is the thread on 1.25" nosepeice adapter standard for most web cams with lenses removed. If possibly I would like to modify for long exposure times at a later date - any ideas.

Astro Fan CPC 9.25 GPS

You can get a Celestron neximage for about £120-£135, also meade sell one for about £85 (they were review in Sky a Night mag last month)

Has anyone used the Imaging Source DFK21AU04 camera, I saw it got a good review in Sky at Night last month?

If so is it better than the Celestron neximage, I believe they use the same sony CCD chip but the Imagaing Source camera is USB2.0 ?

I'd love one of the IS cameras, but I'm currently using a QHY5v guide camera, and it's working great. (I posted up some lunar images with it over the past couple of days). I am waiting for an oppo to try it on Mars now.

I would expect the IS camera to be better, it's a CCD. The other thing is, the IS camera can be used with subs up to 60 minutes, whereas the QHY5v is limited to 100ms, and AVI's. If I can elimante the lines, I'll be very happy with the QHY5v though, especially as it's half the price and works great as a guide camera, which is the main reason I bought it.

As far as I know, the IS camera works great for high frame rate lunar/planetary, guiding and can be used for Deep Sky work too, that's where the longer subs come in, i.e. it can take a capture of up to 60 minutes exposure.

People do use the DMKs as guide cams - apparently they work well - I'll find out in a few weeks when I employ mine as one (but I checked before I bought one)... The software that comes with them is good, and I can save full res (640x480) uncompressed mono streams at 60fps on a beatup old laptop. The downside is the chip size - it is very small compared to a QHY5 (not sure what the chip used in the QHY5v is). Shouldn't be a problem though as you can, as John mentions, expose at up to 60 mins exposure...

The 5v is ever so slightly larger than that, but not much, not enough to make any real difference. It's designed to be used as a Lunar/Planetary as well as a guider and has a global shutter instead of a rolling shutter of the 5

Yes, I'm happy with the DMK (jsut need to have a clear dry night to get back out there - I thought tonight may be one, but it doesn't look like it will be here :)). As to the others and cost, I wanted something to use both as a planetary cam and guide cam. I looked at the QHY5 and saw people were having issues with it. It's looking like John is having issues with his QHY5v too with those lines (sorry John, I think it's the camera and not the cable, but hoping to be proved wrong...). The neximage is essentially a SPC900NC in a different box, so you will be limited to 10fps and compressed output - losing detail. I think you also have limited control of exposure. Not familiar with the QHY exposure settings, but the DMK is certainly very easy to use and can be tweaked within an inch of it's life for exposure/gain/gamma etc...

Value for money? Don't have enough experience with the others to comment, but I wouldn't swap it for anything less.

Personally, if you can stretch to the IS cam, get that, I think the sustained frame frame rate and CCD will win out. The 5v works well and is good value for money. Both cameras beat the neximage for frame rate. The 5v I've had hitting 80fps... but normally get 25-30 out of it. The neximage I think is limited to 10fps.

I really didn't like the QHY5 - just didn't get on with it. But others do use them rather well.

The IS DMK is fantastic, both at guiding and as a lunar / planetary cam. I love it!

I have heard that the DFK is a not great - certainly nothing like as good as it's mono brother...

HTH

Ant

I've been successfully using the DMK21 for the last year or so for Solar Imaging in Ha. I use it also for spectroscopy.

It's solid as a rock! Never, ever given me a moments trouble.... if only everything else in life went so well.

Ken

Depends what you want it for. The DMK has higher inherent resolution (the DFK uses 4 pixels to get the RGB) and also higher sensitivity. If you want a guide cam, the mono will be better as it should be able to resolve the stars better (although it will depend on your seeing conditions and scope focal length as to whether it will make any appreciable difference). Additionally, the extra sensitivity (30% or so IIRC) will help with lower magnitude stars.

If you want a planetary imager, sensitivity isn't that important and then you are balancing the convenience of the one shot colour over filter wheels and filters (extra expense). Yes, the DMK may be able to tweak a little more detail out of the planets, but take a look in the solar system imaging section and see what some have done with the DFK...

Archived