NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Street Lights in Norfolk

Bizibilder

If I read this news item (Yesterday) correctly the street lights in parts of Norwich and many other parts of Norfolk are to be switched off between Midnight and 05.00

:);) ;) :D:);):hello2: :hello2:

As far as I can tell Astronomy or dark skies was not mentioned in the discussion - the decision was, apparently, purely financial.

What's the betting I DON'T live in one of the selected areas?

Most of our lights go off at around 0030 and back on at 0500, in fact a year ago most (75%) of the street lamps were turned off to save money but the out cry was too much for the council so the lights went on again.

They should have turned them off in batches of 25% at a time spread over the winter to let people adjust to the lower light levels IMO.

It is amazing though when they go off the difference is remarkable in an instant.

That could make it a lot better at the Kelling Heath star parties. You can see the glow from Norwich in the sky, even though its 40 miles away.

If only the rest of the country would follow suit.

I guess thats why I have spent on average, more time on holiday there since getting married than anywhere else. We used to regularly get a cruiser on the broads, but it is so expensive now.

We make the Kelling autumn star party into a 2 week holiday.

Will you be coming along to Kelling?

• 1 month later...

Hey,

For those of you interested, the basic numbers of lights being considered is as follows: -

Norwich Central 222

Norwich East 1,234

Norwich North 1,398

Norwich South 1,505

Norwich West 3,029 (<--------my area, large numbers, so fingers crossed)

Attleborough 226

Brundall 190

Costessey 524

Cromer 360

Dereham 1,128

Diss 359

Downham Market 668

Fakenham 308

Great Yarmouth (North) 396

Great Yarmouth (South) 963

Hethersett 140

Holt 183

Horsford 197

Hunstanton 389

King's Lynn 2,553

Loddon 293

Long Stratton 156

North Walsham 786

Plumstead 104

Sheringham 616

Sprowston 132

Swaffham 318

Taverham 665

Thetford 1,404

Thorpe St Andrew 427

Wymondham 764

... and as an Attleborough resident I say 'fantastic', although I do have the prospect of my southern sky being blighted by the joys of the 4000 homes planned for the neighbourhood!

Good luck with the street lights. In my part of Essex they've been switching them off from midnight for a couple of years and the difference is amazing, especially to the west where I'm overlooking a large town. Last year they didn't adjust for BST so the lights went off at 23:00 which was even better.

Archived