NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

HEY!

johnkirkpatrick

Hi, just joined last night and this is a great forum, I'm finding loads o usefull info in ere. well not much to say about myself. I work in a factor, love anything to do with the universe. just bought my first telescope and loving it. and have managed to break it lol not happy at all. its not a major break its the latitude adjustment screw broke. the handle thing came off the screw so searching everywhere to find a replacement fast.

Hi and welcome to SGL, John. ;) You mentioned a 'handle' on the latitude adjustment screw.. was it a T-bolt? When the one on my CG-5 mount snapped, i got a replacement at the local hardware store. I had to bring the mount with me so the Gents who work there could find the right size, but they get a kick out of it when i bring things in for show and tell. :)

Hi John

Welcome to SGL

I don't know what scope you have but the magnification for any scope, 306x in your case, is calculated by dividing the focal length of the scope by the focal length of the eyepiece, eg a scope with a FL of 1200mm couple with a 5mm EP would magnify an object by 240x. That isn't to say that you'd see more detail with higher magnification. In the UK, you're lucky if you can use more than 200x because of our seeing conditions. Think of your 306x as a maximum theoretical value ... unless you're planning to visit Arizona with your scope

HTH

Steve

Archived