EQ5 Synscan upgrade help!

johnrt

I may be missing something obvious here but I am upgrading my EQ5 to synscan (bought from FLO). I have attached the Dec driver to where it looks like it should go as per the less than useless instructions but the cogs are nowhere near each other!

I've included a pic to help describe what I mean.

Help!

post-18298-133877422932_thumb.jpg

That isn't an EQ3 is it ?

It better hadn't be as I paid FLO for an EQ5!

Quick check on Google image search and I have got a 3-2 not a 5! FLO are sorting out as we speak! Well at least I've not gone mad as that was really puzzling me!

It better hadn't be as I paid FLO for an EQ5

Sorry I was just checking John, I have an older model so

it looks a little different. Mind you if you look at the Skywatcher

website it does look like an EQ3.

Hmmn I don't know John, thats weird that it doesn't fit, although

if its the kit for the wrong mount that might explain it.

***Just noticed your edit, glad your getting it sorted ***

Kathleen

Having recently added goto to my CG$/EQ3-2 I can sympathise with you on the instructions, there was no mention of which the two gears wheels went where or even listed in the conversion kit. By a process of elimination I managed to assemble the drives correctly. Are the new RA and DEC gears of a different size or are they the same? Is the larger of the two gear wheels in the photo directly attached to the DEC axis ? judging by the photo there still appears to be about 3-5mm gap between the smaller drive gear and the larger one but you have run out of adjustment in the mounting slot, which is obviously not right.

Peter

I posted before seeing the extra photos, the mount is the new style EQ3-2. The RA drive on the EQ5 is below the body and emerges on the left.

I have just looked back at your earlier postings johnrt and you were going to purchase a 150 with the EQ5 mount. Have you checked the invoice from FLO /OVL ? Have you been supplied with the EQ3-2 mount by mistake and still paid for the EQ5 ?

Peter

I posted before seeing the extra photos, the mount is the new style EQ3-2. The RA drive on the EQ5 is below the body and emerges on the left.

I have just looked back at your earlier postings johnrt and you were going to purchase a 150 with the EQ5 mount. Have you checked the invoice from FLO /OVL ? Have you been supplied with the EQ3-2 mount by mistake and still paid for the EQ5 ?

Peter

Yep I indeed paid for the EQ5 and have been sent the EQ3-2. It was sent directly from the importer though and so not the fault of FLO at all.

FLO have been great and are trying to get it sorted out ASAP for me as the error lies with the importer. Steve is asking them to sort it out and collect the wrong mount for me tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Archived