Dew Shield colour?

Hi,

Going to try and get a camping mat at the weekend so I can make a dew shield.

I know black is the best colour, however if I can't find a black one does anyone know the next best colour I could use? Blue? Green?

I've seen a light Blue one in Halfords Halfords Camping Mat from Halfords Was £6.99 Save £1.00 Price £5.99

Any ideas?

I never even thought about the colour... I've got a blue one side, grey the other, and I've made a couple of dew shields with that. I've put the grey side inwards. I've not noticed any effect of the light grey. My orion widefield was shot with one of these on my 50mm lens.

I speculate the (typically) rough surface might figure at least as much as the colour? I sense the occasional bright "caustic curve" that crosses the field as I scan close to an off-axis bright star with a naked MAK 127 is due to the lack of internal baffling, although the OTA is (fairly) matt black internally. My dark grey (shiney-flecked!) camper-mat, dew shield certainly SEEMS to get rid of that one, presumably via random light scatter? :)

Mine's made from a camping mat that's a shade (maybe 2?) darker than the blue you see on these SGL pages. Stray light interference isn't a problem out here in the country, so i never coated the inside of the shield to be darker or non-reflective and it's been just fine.

Ah, neoprene, had not thought of that, I like the idea, although a bit more expensive than the Halfords mat!

So do I understand that the blue one from Halford's should be okay?

I guess as long as the inward side is not reflective it should be okay?

So do I understand that the blue one from Halford's should be okay?

I guess as long as the inward side is not reflective it should be okay?

It'll be fine. Spray the inside flat black or cover with black felt if you think it will improve it (it will, but maybe not significantly). The outside colour doesn't matter at all - except cosmetically - provided the material is a good insulator. I like scope tubes & dew caps to be white so they are less likely to be bumped into.

Archived