Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M45: First Attempt!

TakMan

Imaged on the 22nd Dec 09

Was technically the day we were supposed to fly home from Prague - but EasyJet cancelled the flights (due to all the snow) so we didn't go on the Sunday!:)

Never mind (always a silver lining as 'they say'), had my second go at 'proper deep sky imaging' since late September (M27) and the result is below....

Taken with the Tak FSQ106-ED on the EM400 mount and the OSC, self-guided SBIG ST4000XCM camera regulated down to -20 degrees.

Since my last go I've added a True Technology motorised filter wheel (to resolve two issues), to gain the correct back-focus distance and to easily add a IDAS LPF.

Also added the Tak Focal reducer (O.73x) making the scope a pretty wide field 385mm F3.6 imaging unit - also helps with only having a relatively 'small' chip - 4Mp (2048 x 2048 pixels at 7.4 microns square)

Files:

38 x 300s lights

25 Flats, 35 Darks and 60 Bias Frames

All pre-processed in Nebulosity 2 on my Apple Mac.

Processed in PSC3 with Noel's Actions and first experimentation with Russell Croman's GradientXTerminator - hence some of the wierd holes in the nebulosity!!!! Plenty to learn - I think there's more whispy stuff to be found (should hope so at F3.6) - I think I thought it was still sky glow when I was 'playing with curves' and took the rest out by mistake while learning GradientXTerminator!!! - next time!:)

Good to be back...

Regards and clear skies

Damian

post-16760-133877419355_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the advice Kevin...

Unfortunately at the moment I can't run PixInsight as I don't have an Intel Mac (that'll come later in the year!), so do you have any advice/further tips (before I start again!), without using that workflow...?

Regards and thanks again,

Damian

It might be worth taking the image from the stage before you have applied any noise reduction and gradient removal. You may find that you have got some of the fainter stuff which can be a bit muddier looking that surrounds M45. In your attempt to use gradient exterminator you may have removed some of this. Try not to use too much noise reduction as this will blur the nebulosity. Im sure you have got some really good data and more can be had from it. If you post up a stacked image file I'm sure people would love to help out.

Regards

Kevin

Now that sounds like a good idea - getting all of you (who are far more experienced than I to do the work!)

But, (there's always a but!), the stacked (drizzle stacked in nebulosity .fit) file is 56Mb - how and where should I upload this...?

Damian

Had a second go - a little better me thinks...

Perhaps get another chance tomorrow - as the weather is not going to play ball for a while...:)

Tips and advice gratefully received!

Damian

Just added! 2nd version with RC's GradientXTerminater....

Thing is, both look different on here than they do on my calibrated monitor....?

post-16760-133877420114_thumb.jpg

post-16760-133877420122_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the comments everyone - at last I feel I'm starting to get somewhere....

I think my set-up is sorted now, so I can settle down (iron out the bugs) and learn how to use it properly!

I followed Olly's lead and made up a lightweight lightbox for my flats and his (and a few others!) method of imaging at a fast(ish) f number - makes life a bit easier when having to set-up the gear each time I want to have a go at imaging.

I also purchased one of those Bahtinov masks from Stayfocused to aid my focus routine - no motor focus though, just my (cold) fingers!

Taken the comments on board 'Coolhandjo' and tried to bring back the blues - it's just so subjective though isn't it - I set up a folder on my desktop with others images of M45 before I started processing, to have some reference points - from vibrant blues to ice blue/whites, greeny hues to those with hints of purple!

Anyway, attached a third/fourth attempt!

Regards,

Damian

post-16760-133877420218_thumb.jpg

Yes, lots of learning taking place here! Good image.

I don't know the first thing about light pollution removal so I can't offer any useful help myself. However, don't call it a small chip or you'll make me cry; I have a couple of Atik 4000s here and refer to them as the large format cameras!!

Olly

Archived