Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

6/1/10 - Observing Report

Wiltshiresaint

Unable to resist a clear sky despite an outside temperature of -9 degrees and snow lying on the ground, I wrapped up well and stepped outside for about an hour's viewing last night.

A one-star alignment on Sirius was sufficient as my targets were easily found and all I really wanted from the Goto mount was basic tracking.

I had three objectives in mind, two coming from Turn Left At Orion (TL@O) and one from the Sky at Night. For all of them I used my 2" 28mm eyepiece initially, switching to a 1.5" 8mm Plossl if required.

First on the list was Castor. Actually a multiple star system I was keen to split it. At first I thought seeing might be an issue, there was a lot of twinkling going on up there, but actually it was fine. I could clearly see Castor A and B. No hint of colour there, but close by was Castor C showing a hint of orange. It's amazing knowing that all of them are actually themselves binaries. Quite pleased I could make out Castor C - that's a Magnitude 9.5 object and helps me gauge what I should be able to see in the future.

Next target was Beta Monocerotis, another multiple, this time a triple star. A trickier one to find without a more accurate alignment, but after a few minutes I got it. Not so much joy here, I could only make out two stars. Probably A, with B and C merging.

My last objective was almost directly overhead, the Kids in Auriga. I'm having a lot of fun with this constellation, there's so much to see there. Not so good this time around though, as alignment was awkward with it being overhead, and so as keen as I was I wasn't going to sit down in the snow to try to see it!

Scratching that one meant I just had time for the Orion Nebula (worth buying the scope for on it's own - as beautiful as ever) and then a very quick look at Mars. Still disappointed there. I'm wondering if a filter would help as all I'm seeing is a very bright disk. It seems to be too bright to discern any features, and maybe a filter would reduce the brightness?

By now I had slightly frostbitten toes so I called it a night, but another lovely little session.

Well done WS I only braved a short period with the 15x70 binos - it was cold!! Some good doubles to view at the moment and still trying to see stars E and F in the Trapezium.

Mars will be at opposition on the 30th and will be 14" across. 12 yellow, 15 yellow, 21 orange and 23a red are supposed to be the best colour filters for Mars.

Mark

I headed out for a couple of hours last night dressed for an artic expedition. Like you I noticed the clear skies and though they were too clear to pass up on. I'm a newbie and had set myself the task of finding the Andromeda and Triangulum galaxies. Managed the first one after about 45 minutes and was quite chuffed but failed on the other and ended up pointing at the my old favourites for the rest of the night (the easy ones in my case) the Orion Nebula and Mars. Was quite difficult veiwing as the viewfinder was icing up which I only noticed properly when I moved the scope back into the light.

My top tip is to take a foam camping mat out with you. Keeps your knees warm if you need to kneel down - also keeps your toes warm if you stand on it instead of the snow. It really works - I had 2 pairs of quality walking socks on and my feet were freezing till i used the mat. (Thanks for another user for the tip!)

Camping mat sounds a great idea Steve. I think we have a couple buried in the garage, I'll try and dig them out.

I'll look up what Filters I have Mark. I bought a set from FLO but haven't really explored what they can do yet. This'll be a good place to start.

I googled "snow boots" but I got everything from 4 season hill walking boots (which I use and get cold feet eventually) to the ugg soft fabric type boot. I'd be quite keen to pick up a pair for £15 if they keep the toes toasty so what kind are they or can you post a link?

That Triangulum galaxy is a tough one...

Try NGC 1023 which although smaller is easier. Its in Perseus which is overhead and close to M34..

You do need a good star atlas or look it up on carte du ciel or equivalent before you go out but it should be possible just with that ED80...

Mark

Archived