Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Studying the moon

As a total newcomer to Astronomy, and because it is a pretty safe bet I will get a few hours worth of a good view of it literally on my doorstep, I have decided to put my efforts into observing and studying the moon.

I am currently working my way through 'Phillips moon observers guide' and was wondering if anybody else had done this? The Moon seems to be so easily overlooked for more 'glamorous' targets.

The Moon is an exellent object for study! To start to learn your way around there is nothing better than making a few sketches through your scope (if you have one!). In the mean time you could download the "Virtual Moon Atlas" from: en:download [Virtual Moon Atlas] its about 750MB for the whole lot and its free!!

Thank you for that, I will download it now. I have had the skywatcher heritage 130p for a couple of weeks now, the only viewing I have had of note was a crystal clear view of the moon, learning about which area and what I am looking at really interests me.

You may also like these: Lunar maps They are full disc moon drawings. You can print them out if you wish - nearly 30" in diameter!! (beware they use a LOT of black ink around the edges!!) I use the "grey unmarked no grid" version.

Hope this helps.

I dont think my printer can handle sheets of paper 30" wide.

Thank you for that, I will download it now. I have had the skywatcher heritage 130p for a couple of weeks now, the only viewing I have had of note was a crystal clear view of the moon, learning about which area and what I am looking at really interests me.

I was given the same advice about downloading the atlas Chris - I did so and it is brilliant. Just click on a grater and it will tell you everything about it.

Chris, it sounds like you're off to a good start. If you want an observing challenge have a look at SkyandTelescope.com - Moon - The Lunar 100. You can download the log from http://www.spanglefish.com/has/Documents/Astronomy%20Projects/Lunar_100_sheets.pdf and the map http://www.spanglefish.com/has/Documents/Astronomy%20Projects/Lunar_100_map.pdf. Bear in mind that some of the items on the list can't be seen in smaller scopes. Used in conjunction with VMA and your guide, it's a good exercise in both observing and finding your way around the moon.

You can print a 30" map on A4 paper BUT there is a trick to it!!!

(Don't tell anyone........ but you open the map in PAINT (XP or Vista), go to print then page setup and click on "fit to". It will then print on multiple sheets (5x3 If I remember correctly))

Hi Chris, here are a few versions of Sky and Telescope's excellent Field Map (highly recommended by this user :) ):

Field map of the Moon - correct image

Field map of the Moon - mirror image

Be aware that some of the features on the Lunar 100 list (and many other features) need very specific light angles in order to be detected, Sometimes their window of opportunity can be non-existent some months, or limited to a few hours when you figure in the lunar dynamics and libration. Because of these variabilities, i find the Moon to be a much more challenging target than DSOs but wow, it's a LOT of fun! :hello2:

Hands down though, Rukl's Atlas of the Moon is THE best lunar source, albeit a bit difficult to come by from what i understand. It was out of print for a number of years and apparently S&T didn't order enough copies when they had the new edition printed. IIRC you can sometimes get it in foreign languages, which would probably be easier for you to do in Europe than it is for us here in the States. Happy lunar viewing! :)

Good idea Chris. I am now in the train of thought that since owning the Dob (ok its a baby Dob for all you purists) that i will forget everything i think i knew about astronomy and go back to the beginning and learn with the Dob (still a baby Dob for you purists). The moon will be my main target on the nights it is there (use it while you can,right!!!). On the other nights, it will be star hopping the constellations and learning more of them rather just looking for interesting "touristy sights" within. I have the Phillips Gem: Stars, at my disposal which can fit right in my pocket. Hopefully also take images of the constellations to get more familiar with them.

I usually round off every session with an hour behind the bins just scanning the sky.

Archived