SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M45 driving me mad!

assouptro

Hi

M45 is driving me mad!

I have loads of subs all 8 min long and as my scope is broken at the moment I have been playing with processing.

I have attached 2 pics for your consideration

One is 9hr36min and processed quite harshly

The 1st is 8hr8min with less processing.

What do you think?

Any tips or suggestions are welcome

Bryan

post-16476-133877417661_thumb.jpg

post-16476-133877417668_thumb.jpg

Hi

I am sorry in my opinion ( Ignore me if you like ) neither are right :hello2:

The first image has some bad gradients and is stopping you from getting the best from it , and the second is clipped and you are loosing some background information.

Good gradient removal is key to getting the best from your image,

Either pixinsight or grad X do a excellent job

Regards Harry

Thanks for the honesty Harry and Kevin.

I am tempted by pixinsight however you cannot download the le version anymore so I would have to part with hard earned cash that is normally earmarked for hardware.

I don't know a great deal about gradient exterminator, but google can fix that.

Yes, thanks Euan flats bias and darks all there but I may go back to the begining and be more brutal with my sub selection.

Nice job Nadeem. what are you using to remove the gradient?

Thanks for the comments

Bryan.

Hi

You can download pixinsight 30 day trial , I think its worth a go !

I know it tempting not to buy software and put your money into hardware, but i have found a few pounds spent on the right software can give huge rewards and reveal what you have captured with that expensive hardware :hello2:

Harry

Gradient? Are we sure? My suspicion is lack of good flats. It looks to me like the green channel is much more fully illuminated in the centre. Is this a one shot camera or mono? The first image has all the data but the green is brighter towards the centre.

As for driving you nuts, well yes. It's an astrophoto! Welcome aboard!

Olly

Thanks Olly

I find such a question from yourself is quite encouraging.

The camera is a modified dslr and the subs are 8 mins. The green could be as a result of my LP filter which is or was a 2" skywatcher £30 budget device.

I have just obtained an astronomic clip LP filter which I am itching to use as soon as I have fixed my scope.

Harry. Thanks again,

I have downloaded the trial version of pixinsight and believe i have discovered a new toy to distract me from reality for a while, I am just about to have a look at your tutorials, I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.

Bryan.

Aha, yes, I like the filter theory. That fits in with what I see on my screen. So a kind of 'filter vignetting.' The new clip filter should do it.

Be aware that there is a lot going on in the background sky towards the bottom of your image as orientated here. I might be inclined to frame the cluster a bit higher - if there is a next time! There is a strange patch of reddish brown nebulosity down there which doesn't always show in images and might easily get gradient Xterminated...

Olly

PS Just had a play and, yes, the problem is all in that green. I didn't find much by way of gradients and I found GradX far too aggressive. It might be worth just trying to run it on the green channel. What I did here was simply work on the green in curves. Trouble is, of course, that it creates a boundary but the point is to isolate the problem.

I love your smooth blue nebulosity. Great quality. Roll on the new filter!

Olly

post-15040-133877417778_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the reply Nadeem.

I am having a look at pixinsight. Downloaded the trial version and may purchase if I get to grips with it.

Thanks to Harry's tutorials I am beginning to understand the basics however my first few attempts at DBE have appeared to enhance the red in the image??? I was playing late at night and maybe need to have a fresh look. Which will be difficult as my wife has other plans for me today.

I think you are right about the green Olly. It was quite prominent during processing, I am aware of the extra information and brown nebulosity towards the bottom of the image I tried to recompose the image in later sessions but as the majority of the better subs were composed with the Neb low DSS ended up clipping the bottom off.

However a fresh start with the new filter should help.

Thanks for the encouragement Peter I will persevere (but will I ever be satisfied??)

Happy New Year to all!

Bryan.

Hi Bryan

I have has a look at your image in pixinsight and though its only a jpg I can see a couple of problems and is a difficult image to correct , but not impossible :hello2:

1) even though your image has a green cast this is not the main

problem

2) the main gradients are red this is what you see after running DBE in its default setting and are the errors are to much to removed in one run

What I suggest with a image like this is ( please use STF first )

1) First run background neutralization to remove the green cast and will reveal the true gradients red around the edges

2) now run DBE and make sure you put extra samples around the main gradient errors , alter the tolerance to 1 or 2 ( experiment)

Now DBE still might not correct the image in one go, if it does not run it again on the newly created image

This looks like a difficult image to correct and normally I can correct 95 % of my images in one go of DBE :)

Look on the bright side it all gets easier from here

Regards Harry

Archived