absolute beginner feeling stupid

Hi we have just got our first telescope for Christmas - the instructions for assembly are good and we have managed that but there are no operation instructions (guess we should know what to do - but we don't).

The scope is a Venus 76 bought from Scopesnskies and advised by them as the best one for night time viewing. We had a really clear sky last night but could see nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions for basic abc steps on how to get the best from it - or get anything out of it at all?

Look forward to hearing from someone who can alleviate our feeling of sheer stupidity. Thanks

No need to fell stupid - we all struggle when we start.

First of all, don't expect to see the sorts of images you see in photographs.

Concentrate on the brighter targets - the Moon being the obvious one. Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn are all about at various times too.

Stars will still look like little twinkly things but you'll find red ones, blue ones, yellow ones and white ones. You'll see many more stars than you can see with the naked eye and you'll find a few turn out to be doubles.

Try downloading some planetarium software like Cartes du Ciel or Stellarium, they show you what is visible from your location. Assuming you are in England, the constellation Orion will be visible and that contains a very bright area of glowing gas where new stars are being formed - that is well worth a look. Use the planetariun software to see where it is and then go out and find it.

Have fun.

Mike

PS Use the 20mm eyepiece to start with - it won't magnify as much and makes it easier to "navigate".

Having reread your post ... could you see absolutely nothing?

Have you taken the cap off the end? Have you put an eyepiece in the focuser and twiddled the focuser? Try it out during the day by pointing it at something distant NOT THE SUN - YOU RISK BLINDNESS. Turn the focuser slowly.

Mike

We've all been there but don't despair! Your new telescope is what is known as a Newtonian Reflector and should give you some great views of the Moon and many other bright objects but don't expect to see an eyepiece full of the rings of Saturn and all its coloured bands!

For now I would concentrate on viewing the Moon because it is easy to find (!!), a wonderful sight with so much to explore and it will get you used to moving and focusing the telescope.

Although you must be VERY CAREFUL NOT TO LOOK ANYWHERE NEAR THE SUN, have a go at looking at a distant terrestrial object during the day and make sure that you can get it in focus - don't be surprised to see that it is upside down, this is normal. This will mean you are armed for trying for the Moon on the next clear night.

Good luck!

Hi and welcome to your new hobby of standing outside in the cold and dark :hello2:

First - do you know anyone who could show you the basics of using your scope ?

Second - try it out in daylight so you can practice aligning it on some distant objects and get the hang of moving it and focusing as what you see through it will be upside down and back to front so it takes a bit of getting used to.

Third - buy a book called "Turn left at Orion" it explains everything you need to know in a nice simple manner.

Astronomy is not difficult once you have learned the basics and after a few disappointing goes you will suddenly come across some spectacular sights so keep at it and good luck :)

Hello, and welcome to practical astronomy.

Your telescope is a 3" reflector.

Mike has covered the basics in getting you started.

You can also use it in daylight on targets at a distance, where you can practice the focusing using the eyepieces supplied.

I know it says you can magnify up to 232 times with the highest power eyepiece, but please, only try that magnification on the moon.

You will get some good sights of lunar craters and mountains.

The moon is heading towards full phase, and the best times for your telescope is from a crescent to gibbous phase.

There is a small telescope on top of the tube called a finder.

You can set that in daylight too. Point your main scope at chimney pot as far away as you can, get it in the centre of your eyepiece. Do not move the main scope, then adjust the finder so that the chimney pot is on the crosshair. You then have both lined up.

At night, you can then use the finder to locate an object by placing it on the crosshair, and using your low power eyepiece, it should appear in the main telescope.

You will soon learn how to use the instrument, it does take a while, but practice makes perfect.:hello2:

Just enjoy it.

If you need any more help just ask.

Ron.

:):D I'm going to have to type a lot faster.

Thanks folks - we did have the cap off and the eyepiece in but I now think we have had the wrong eyepiece in to get a decent view. My husband said that he had the moon in the viewer on top of the scope, tightened it up so it didn't move but still couldn't see anything through the eyepiece, however he was using the H12.5MM eyepiece. To focus do you turn the section the eyepiece goes into round left to right as well as the forward and away from you motion? We will have a go during the day as suggested and see how we get on. Again thanks for your help, I'm sure I'll need it tomorrow again though.

Hi.

You have bought a 700x76mm (3") Newtonian Reflector,these work differently to the more conventional refractor telescope.

I am new to astronomy myself but will try to help,starting with the obvious first.

1: have you removed the caps ?

2: it proberly came with 2 or 3 eyepieces (6mm, H-12.5mm and H-20mm) using the least powerful 20mm eyepeice,place into the focuser.

3: try using to scope in daylight by pointing it at a distant object (I aim at a tree DO NOT POINT ANYWHERE NEAR THE SUN AS IT WILL PERMANTLY BLIND YOU) being a reflector scope,you need to point the end with the focuser on at the object & slowly adjust the focuser...NOTE the object will appear upside down & back to front.

4: once you have managed to focus on the object & being careful not to move the scope,move onto the small finder scope onto of the scope to align this by losening & tightening the 3 screws holding it in place..this can be a bit fiddly but worth doing to be able to find objects in the night sky.

Hopefully this has helped

Thanks again everyone - you'll all be pleased to hear that I have managed to view upside down trees etc this morning through the eyepiece but cannot for the life of me manage to line up the viewer on the top of the scope at the same time - it appears to be way out of line, with the image just visible in the top left hand corner of the viewer - is it faulty as the screws to hold the base of it were already in place when I got it? I'll keep at it though. Thanks so far.

You will need to play with the screws a bit.

It is awkward but if your image is to the top lefthand corner,I think you need to slightly loosen the bottom r/hand screw & tighten the top screw...You will get the hang of it after a while & you really do need the finder scope at night to find smaller objects.

The screws that hold the viewer do not have to be done up as tight as possible. You have to slacken them all off until they barely hold, then tighten them up slowly in turn to move the object into the centre.

No need to feel stupid my friend - I have just changed my username because my own eyeball is all I have seen in my scope so far! It is a learning curve for us all. Just as I have learnt things in the short time that I have been part of this forum, so shall you.

Good luck

The screws at the base (the ones on the scope tube that hold the finder scope bracket) should be ok. You adjust the finder scope with the three screws that are around the finder. One of these may be spring loaded. Basicall you need to get the finder to see the same thing as the view in the main scope. Try using a distant object like a chimney pot or tree top.

Low cost scopes can be a bit hard on this as the finders are often not very good and the finder adjustment can be a bit cranky.

Thanks everyone - every single reply has been really helpful. Colin your comment is very encouraging as we are very much at this stage and I'm sure that we will learn lots from this forum on our very steep learning curve.

They are a very friendly lot here, so don't be afraid to ask questions, no matter how silly they might seem. You are not going to learn unless you ask someone when you need an answer to something. Why spend hours trying to work things out yourselves when a quick visit to this forum will provide the instant help you need.

It will be interesting to see how you get on.:hello2:

Hi Newuser34,

if your having a few teething problems with the scope why not use the web to get a few pointers. Most of the manufacturers have web sites and tutorials, even if it`s not your scopes makers. Orion Scopes has quite a few vids on as well as Celestron.

It`s a learning curve so don`t beat yourself up as you`ll get there at your own pace and in your own time.:hello2:

ALL the Best,

will

As others have said, a little help from a knowledgeable friend can really accelerate your progress. You can do it alone, but just don't let it frustrate you too much. If you are getting close to giving up (like many folks do) then definitely get some assistance first.

As for the finder. You can replace it with an empty PVC tube about the same diameter and it will be easier to use (no magnification). Do save the finder for later use.

Keep working at it during the day and you will get smarter fast. Then go for the moon. When trying to get the moon into your lowest power eyepiece.... move the scope so the background gets brighter and brighter. When it is brightest, you should be on the moon. If you have focused on a distant object during the day or evening ( but stay away from the SUN!!!!) and left the eyepiece in, then the moon should be a tad easier to get into final focus. When you focus you will notice stars and the moon get smaller and smaller if you are going in the right direction (and larger if not).

I find new folks find operating binoculars a bit easier. I usually locate brighter objects in binoculars first, before trying to locate them in my telescope. Any binoculars will work, but most folks recommend 10x50's. I prefer a cheap pair in case I drop them. I actually use 8x35's because they are lighter and show more of the sky.

Visit skymaps.com for a free download of sky map and objects list for each month. Then you will know where to point that scope.

You might consider a book called Nightwatch by Dickinson. It is a fabulous resource.

Archived