Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

review skywatcher 127 goto

Another (fairly random) link. Telescope Reviews: Thoughts on a 127mm Mak But it is quite hard to find anyone who can FAULT this scope - The MAK127 seems to enjoy a hearty endorsement by just about all it's OWNERS! :)

Less a review, more random comments re. my retrofitted MAK127 on a Synscan mount!

First the MAK127:

As a Maksutov, the MAK127 often attracts comments re. it being a "Planetary Scope" (only!) or that it has a (pathalogically!) "narrow field of view". <G> Real fact is, in it's basic form, the MAK127 has a 1.25" diagonal and a focal length of 1500mm. This limits True field of View to a maximum delivered by a 32mm Plossl, a ~24mm 70 Deg etc. I.E. about ONE deg. (two lunar widths or so). OK? :)

This can be partly recovered by replacing the original diagonal with a 2" one. An adaptor can be purchased to fit on the "T2" thread to allow connection of "SCT" threaded accessories. With a 2" diagonal, you can (Visually anyway) use 2" eyepieces upto pretty much the limit of field stop, giving a true field 1.5 - 1.7 Deg. Sufficient IMO to give THIS Maksutov something of the characteristics of a "general purpose" scope. Worth noting too, most "Reflectors" (Dobs etc.) have a focal length ~1250mm - not much less than a MAK127! ;)

BUT I would strongly urge any MAK127 users to (eventually) invest in a 2" diagonal. The attachment of a 1.25" diagonal is a bit "flakey" and might rotate and dump you precious eyepiece(s) onto the deck. Either get the T2 -> SCT adaptor from FLO or check out Telescope-Service DE for the Maxbright 35mm diagonal etc. (see my posts). I also find the MAK127 default finder limiting. A better finder (9x50) and 2" eyepieces, take the scope to new heights... but may not be entirely compatible with the SynScan (see later).

Other general criticisms re. Maksutovs concern he "cooling down" time re. the THICK correction plate etc. Suffice it to say, by the time I've got all the rest of my junk ready, this has not been any MAJOR problem with my MAK127. I have seen figures of about 1/2 to 1hr quoted to reach optimal viewing. But my UK kitchen (MAK store) is anyway quite cold already! So, in this respect the MAK127 is IMO fairly "grab & go". You WILL need a Dew shield of some kind. Despite exprimentation with commercial ones, I much prefer my DIY (lightweight!) camper mat offering. :D

Sysncan Mount with a MAK127:

I am still playing with a retro-fitted MAK127 on the SynScan GoTo. Main comment on the GoTo: The FIRST one I obtained had a dodgy motor. Despite buying a "Powertank" (almost an essential) it had very little "Oomph" and kept slowing down. Others(?) here have seemed to get "dud" motors, and needed to return to supplier. :p

Within the weight limit (barefoot MAK127) I found the Synscan OK. To get the BEST accuracy from the scope (stars the MAK127's ONE deg field!), I feel you NEED some form of hard-standing. Boggy UK lawns are no good! However "well aligned", initial objects are, those across the sky seem often to JUST escape the default MAK127 field. I reckon I can still get the thing to accurately "GoTo" but sense the SynScan with MAK127 is QUITE near the limits of the Synscan - Or strictly speaking the TRIPOD, due to flexure? Others comment re. limiting latter's extension as a possible solution.

CONCLUSION: I do rather quibble with a MAK127 as (strictly) "Grab and Go" scope. But then most people are less "enfeebled" than me! <G> I ENJOY GoTo! I do genuinely feel the MAK127 is quite near the weight limit of a Synscan, and cannot be upgraded overmuch. With a better mount, certainly go for the aperture of a MAK127. On the Synscan, consider a MAK102? This has a slightly wider field (almost 2 Deg with 2" adaptation!) is no slouch re. aperture - Equavalent to a 3" APO? [teasing] But certainly a quantum leap less in weight, re. some of the above limitations? :D

• 1 year later...

The best tip for aligning a GOTO tripod is to use the bubble spirit level to make sure the mount is level. You might think you are set up on a flat surface, but spending a minute adjusting a leg or two to get the bubble centred will work wonders.

The best way to set up the scope (which I love) is to use a 24mm ep first, then a 15 and finally a 9. This allows you to make sure that each target is perfectly aligned during set up. If the tracking goes off at all you can just hold the esc button on the controller (once you have manually tweaked the last goto item into view) and it will recanter itself and that keeps things ticking along nicely.

I am just venturing into the 2 inch ep area and generally find them easier to use than the 1.25's

• 2 years later...

The best tip for aligning a GOTO tripod is to use the bubble spirit level to make sure the mount is level. You might think you are set up on a flat surface, but spending a minute adjusting a leg or two to get the bubble centred will work wonders.

Hi there George B  I use a plumb weight to level the scope tripod... use a bit of blu tack to suspend/stick  a coin(£2) with thread underneath the locking collar and extend each leg in turn to gain the best level, even on grass. my back green ain't exactly level so i have to use this method everytime. I am getting round to laying some slabs  in my favorite spot to gain a more level surface.. even with me being a fatty this will have to be reinforced with sand/cement mixture. hopefully this will sort out the level business once and for all.

Archived