NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Big Fireball Observed!

cloud9

I was out trying to sort out my new telescope and whilst i was outside i saw a huge fireball! This is with the naked eye. It went from South to East and was easily spotted. It looked exactly like a fireball and was about the same size as the moon is currently but slightly not as bright.

Anyone else seen anything?

I was mucking about looking at Orion's nebula from South Bucks a few weeks ago and I saw one too - man it was huge, I actually ducked!!!:hello2::)

I've seen meteors before so I was completely flummoxed by this, God knows what it was, it seemed to go across about 30 degrees of the sky and it was very, very bright.

You'd never mistake a fireball for a lantern. The fireball streaks across the sky in much less than a second though the brain makes the impression 'linger.' The one described here matches one we saw here in the autumn. What about colour?

Olly

I Down loaded an app for my iphone called Pocket Universe a few months back simple star charts news it has a feature,Tonights Sky that tells you whats visible time, date,position.

there have been quite a few showers over the last few months you might be seeing the tail end of the last shower which i believe was just the end of december.

Looking just now the next one is due 17th Jan, Delta Cancrids, Strengh:Medium,Watch Cancer.

I Know i'm new but this would seem the most reasonable answer to your sightings.

Hope this helps

lee.

Archived