Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A Meade Lightbridge playing in the snow...

Doc

Looks awesome Doc !

I have some questions about your beastie, because I also need to apply a "winter makeover" to my 16" LB against dew ;-).

As I see you are heating your Telrad and Vixy, do you also have something for the secondary ? Mine is dewing up in no time, so I installed a wrap-around heater for the secondary mirror. That dew controller looks very neat, I am tempted to go for it as well, maybe placing on the lower OTA.

My other question is about your Astrozap shroud. It looks like you have spanned it in the length as well, how did you do that ? My shroud has only two flexible rings, but nothing in the lenght (?).

By the way, the wheely bars look really strong, you can cross the country with them :-)).

cheers,

Janos

Looks awesome Doc !

I have some questions about your beastie, because I also need to apply a "winter makeover" to my 16" LB against dew ;-).

As I see you are heating your Telrad and Vixy, do you also have something for the secondary ? Mine is dewing up in no time, so I installed a wrap-around heater for the secondary mirror. That dew controller looks very neat, I am tempted to go for it as well, maybe placing on the lower OTA.

My other question is about your Astrozap shroud. It looks like you have spanned it in the length as well, how did you do that ? My shroud has only two flexible rings, but nothing in the lenght (?).

By the way, the wheely bars look really strong, you can cross the country with them :-)).

cheers,

Janos

Astrozap is the same as yours only 2 flexible rings, it has nothing length wise.

I found the secondary really dewed up quick so I made a template out of paper in the shape of the secondary stalk. I then sandwiched some nichrome wire between them and inserted a small terminal block for the wire to be inserted into. Then run another length from the terminal block along the top of the spider vane and drilled a small hole under the dew controller and then soldered a RCA socket on the end. The yellow is a light for the wixey, the black wire goes to the Telrad and the white wire goes to the secondary mirror heater.

The first one caught fire but the second was OK, I think the first one the nichrome touched.

Works really good and have had no dew problems since.

Archived