SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The kitchen table

I really cant think of any good reason why you are seeing your eye reflected back at you when looking through an EP. Also with an EP in place, you shouldnt be seeing the primary mirror reflected back at you either. You should only see what the scope is pointed at (albeit upside down).

You said everything looks pretty well aligned when you put the collimation cap in?.

Consider me stumped.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right Chris

Is it normal, with your eye about two inches from the eyepiece, to see the primary mirror with the secondary centered in it? In essense, seeing what you would see through a collimation cap.

Is it normal, with your eye pressed against the eyepiece, to see your own eye?

I am assuming you were looking during the day right? It is quite possible to see a "round patch of light" that you may be thinking is the primary and then inside of it a "shadow" of the secondary mirror holder and spikes. If this is the case, then the bright round circle is the "exit pupil" of the eyepiece / scope combination. In the center is the shadow of the secondary. You can see the shadow because you eye is dilated down to near the size of the exit pupil of the eyepiece. At night, it will probably disappear as long as your pupil can get dark adapted. This view will be most likely during the day with your lowest power eyepiece (it has the largest exit pupil).

As for seeing your eye reflected of the eyepiece.... its possible and will also disappear at night.

I am assuming you were looking during the day right? It is quite possible to see a "round patch of light" that you may be thinking is the primary and then inside of it a "shadow" of the secondary mirror holder and spikes. If this is the case, then the bright round circle is the "exit pupil" of the eyepiece / scope combination. In the center is the shadow of the secondary. You can see the shadow because you eye is dilated down to near the size of the exit pupil of the eyepiece. At night, it will probably disappear as long as your pupil can get dark adapted. This view will be most likely during the day with your lowest power eyepiece (it has the largest exit pupil).

As for seeing your eye reflected of the eyepiece.... its possible and will also disappear at night.

Yes, it was daylight, as I was focussing on a distant object with my lowest power eyepiece - your explanation sounds plausible.

I only see the reflection of my eye if it is 'pressed' against the eyepiece - it is superimposed over the what the scope is seeing. As soon as I release the pressure it disappears.

Astronomy is more complex than you think, isn't it?

Well I have just had my first real experience with a 'scope. At the moment the skiy directly outside my house is crystal clear and I had a full clear view of the moon, first time I have ever in my life seen it up that close was a very impressive sight.

I then spent about an hour literally just moving the 'scope around the sky randomly stopping at anything bright that caught my eye, saw nothing more of any real note.

Although one thing I will say, I found focusing in on anything through the 10mm eyepiece nigh on impossible, even worse using the barlow; however scanning through the sky using the 25mm I saw what can only be described as a blanket of stars

I'm looking forward now to learning more about the sky so I know exactly what it is I am looking at.

A bit, but as we say here: "You don't get tired when you love running!" (rough translation)

My first experiences of astronomy have been testing to say the least - but I'm loving it, even if only reading of other people's sucesses. Soon I will share my own with you all. :hello2:

Its a very steep learning curve.

I thought I had wasted my money for the first 3 or 4 times I 'tried' to use the scope.

Once you get the hang of it (Or start to in my case) its very rewarding.

Yes, there is a lot to learn, but that is the beauty of this forum - help, advice, friendly banter.

Archived