Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The kitchen table

Astro baby's guide

Video

I been doing it with the provided collimation cap with decent results. Though I just ordered a laser collimator to get the best out of my current gear.

Both of those guides go way over my head to be honest, perhaps they will make more sense when I have a scope infront of me. It's put a bit of a dampner on it for me, but i'm sure it's not all that difficult.

They provide a collimation cap?

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My scope had one. It's from Orion (US). I'm not sure if skywatcher also brings one.

The idea is simple, untight the screws on the secondary mirror and center it under the focuser. But it's better not to touch the secondary cause it rarelly get's out of place. Mine was a bit off when I bought the scope, only touched it once.

Then you align the primary, you do this by turning some screws in the back of the scope. You peek in the focuser to see if it's aligned. My scope haves a donut shape sticker in the center of the primary that allows me to see the reflection on the secondary. Once the donut is in the center and your eyeball reflection is inside the donut then it's collimated. Usually you only align the primary to collimate.

My scope is a solid tube. I suspect your's will need some tweaking after every pack and unpack due to it's truss tube design. I'm not sure since I never used a truss tube.

I too am intimindated by the prospect of collimation, having only owned a refractor scope. I really had no concept of what it is or how to do it before i watched the video above. I thought it involved taking the scope apart. I'm happy to see that really it is just a case of turning a few screws on either or both end of the scpe until all the circles are centered. Still gonna be scarey to do it the first time. Hopefully like in the video clip a "small" scope sch as the 5" wont need collminating more then once a year. Obviously the more the scope is moved around,transported etc you would need to do it more often. My scope when i get it (please let it be tomorrow) will be making a nightly journey of about 10 feet from my garage to my garden, so i dont see that it wil need collminating more then the once a year.................but you never know.

Sure its all part of the fun and the learning curve.

When i have my new scope, the 1st thing i will do is remove the RDF and replace it with my Skyscout. I've had the damn thing for 2 yrs and used it 3 times. The scope i have right now is on a manual EQ mount so placing the scout on the scope was not something i wanted to do because the manual controls on the EQ are to slow. With the new scope being on an ALT-az mount it will be much faster/easier to swing it left/right/up/down to find objects, so i reckon the skyscout will serve more purpose then a RDF. I'll attach it to the scope with a couple of bits of sticky back velcro.

Sorry if i am waffling. I'm just excited at the prospect of owning a "real" scope that i WILL be able to manage. The 90EQ i own weighs about 30lbs (including mount,tripod,counter weights etc). Dont even get me started about how much bigger and brighter things will look through a 5" scope compared to a 3.5" scope. I may even get some use out of my 2x Barlow lens with the new scope.

"My scope is a solid tube. I suspect your's will need some tweaking after every pack and unpack due to it's truss tube design. I'm not sure since I never used a truss tube."

That is my main worry with this scope. The fact that it is collapsible. I think over time the truss' screws may lose grip and become loose which means the mirrors will not be perfectly aligned. Hopefully that will NOT be the case.

I have the Heritage Flex Tube 130P and it works fantastic. I often set mine on a "rolling toolbox". A three legged stool made to store the assembly when inverted would also work (saw someone do this somewhere on the internet with a Starblast). I added a captive nut to the base so I could put it on a heavy video camera tripod. That setup was a tad flimsy. It did not shake but I was concerned about pulling out the captive nut. Then I purchased a 76mm mini dob and mounted it to the tripod after converting the altitude bearing to hold the 130P. That worked very well. But I can't use the 130P on the 76mm base (without the tripod) without it tending to tip over.

It is a lot easier to use the finder when the scope is mounted high on a tripod. Otherwise, I locate the object with my binoculars, point the scope in the same direction, and then just sweep up with my lowest power eyepiece. Seems to be the easiest way to find things.

Because it is "flex tube" instead of a truss telescope, it holds its collimation as well as a solid tube scope. Being an f6 scopes means collimation is not as critical. Plus the mirror is pretty light in scopes this size so it isn't likely to need it often.

It is sooo compact I keep it fully assembled in the original box in the back of my SMax. It seems to take almost no floor space and is very protected. Also in the box I keep eyepieces, red flashlight, and a few observing guides.

Thanks for that info Jim. Can i ask you a question (seen as you have one of these and have used it)..............

IF i simply place the scope on the ground..............level ground (no toolbox or stool involved etc) is the EP at a comfortable level to be used from a sitting position (say a wheelchair, standard kitchen chair)?. The great thing about this scope is that it will allow me to observe to the zenith as at max height the scope is only 69.5cm high. What i mean is...........is the EP within easy/comfortable reach from a seated position. I hope i dont have to lean forward too much and run the risk of falling ontop of the scope.

Also do you think it is sturdy enough to take the weight of an SLR camera attached at the EP?. I'm not BIG into astroimaging yet (i use my SLR on a fixed tripod for now to image constellations etc) but it is something i want to progrees on in the future.

Like you, i plan to keep mine fully assembled and stored in its box in my garage. My garage door is wooden and has a large hole in it thanks to my dog..........so the temp inside the garage is the same as outside................so cooling the scope down before using it is not an issue.

Do you use a shroud on yours?. Is dewing an issue with this scope?

Sorry to ask so many questions but you are the first person i have met online that uses one and of whom i can ask questions.

P.S.~~~I think it is so cool that we have bought a scope especially designed for the 400th birthday of the telescope and the 2009 IYA.

It IS a bit of a collectors item. The fact we bought it in 2009 makes it special. We will always have a bit of history with us whenever we observe.

Will this scope continue to be sold in 2010 and onwards or is it purely for sale in 2009?.

Haha i sound like a moron.

Being an f6 scopes means collimation is not as critical.

I was quite glad to read that :)

Now, shrouds..... is this just a case of being slightly imaginative and covering it over with something like a bin bag or pillow case, or do I have to splash out £80 on a purpose made one :D

Hi Paul

I still have not received my Heritage FlexTube 130P, and I'm fuming. I ordered it online Tuesday morning and paid extra for next day delivery - it's now Friday morning and still no scope!

Has anyone had any dealings with Scopes 'n' Skies, and experienced problems like this?

Hi Paul

I still have not received my Heritage FlexTube 130P, and I'm fuming. I ordered it online Tuesday morning and paid extra for next day delivery - it's now Friday morning and still no scope!

Has anyone had any dealings with Scopes 'n' Skies, and experienced problems like this?

I've ordered mine from there (yesterday) and paid extra for 48 hour delivery :D

Regarding collimation of the heritage 130p, I have just come across this on skywatchertelescope.net

Carefully engineered to combine ease of use, extreme portability and consistent performance in an affordable package Collapsible truss-tube design, no disassembling and collimation required between uses

I don't use a shroud yet, but will probably make one. I have not had it dew up on me yet (only used it a few times), but usually keep a hairdryer around.

As for viewing with the Heritage 130 from a seated position..... Why didn't I think of that? No kitchen table needed! I popped mine out of the box. It is easy to view even when on the ground when I am in the kitchen chair. I just sit in the chair and lean my elbows on my knees (I am 6ft). The focus tube is at about 30" at altitude 45degrees and about 32" at vertical position. The only issue is you will not be able to look through a finder unless you really bend so your face is next to the tube. A riser could help or use a green laser pointer instead. I don't use the finder, I just locate the item with my binoculars, point in that direction and then sweep up from the horizon with my lowest power, widest field eyepiece.

I will try a "sitting session" the next clear night I can get out. This thing is getting even better! I might toss one of those one step stools in the car. That will make it even easier. But from here on out, it is sitting for me!

Col, I have heard that some people of late are having real problems with S@S. I hope you get your scope soon. No sign of mine yet either. I ordered from FLO. They said 2-3 days so i am HOPING that today will be the day.

Thanks for the info Jim regarding position of EP when sitting. I also dont plan on using the RDF on the scope. I was going to attach a Skyscout to it instead but that would be much for muchness regarding looking through it. Like you i think i'll find targets via bins and "Turn Left".

Haha have we converted you to becoming a sit down astronomer!!!!

Mr Fedex just arrived. WOOHOO.....................................

See you all in a few yrs.LOL.

Still waiting for mine, even though I paid for 48 hour delivery it looks like it isn't going to come today.

I hate this time of year and how everything comes to a halt, I ordered a book over a week ago that hasn't come either!

Have fun!

Is it collimated?

Mine arrived pretty much 3 days to the minute after it was sent out by FLO. I dont know if it is collimated as i havent yet discovered how to focus it. I'll have to go read the manual. It's very well built. Not a scratch or a nick out of it. Its actually lighter then i expected............that's a good thing. There is a tiny water stain dried onto the little mirror which can be easily removed.

Still waiting for mine, even though I paid for 48 hour delivery it looks like it isn't going to come today.

I hate this time of year and how everything comes to a halt, I ordered a book over a week ago that hasn't come either!

Have fun!

Is it collimated?

I have just managed to contact Scopes 'n' Skies after trying for two days, and have just been informed that the Heritage 130P is out of stock - and I'm fuming!

I have just managed to contact Scopes 'n' Skies after trying for two days, and have just been informed that the Heritage 130P is out of stock - and I'm fuming!

:D Oh made my day that has

How can they say on their website that they are taking orders for christmas up until the 22nd! it's insane

Damn Col-A that is infuriating. I suffered the same thing when buying my SLR. I must have sent 20 emails to the "company" and i got different replies from different people in different "departments". I paid about 50 euros for next day delivery. The camera showed up 2 weeks later. To say i was LIVID is an understatement. I considered suing them to get my 50 euros back, but i live by the mantra of "what goes around comes around"....meaing if i sue them over it................i know that at some stage of my life someone will sue me over something. So i didnt bother suing.

Can you cancel your order any buy somewhere else?

Believe me my friend, I know how you feel. I am just as incensed as you are. It's ruined my Christmas!

I was only really half expecting mine to be delivered today as I discounted it as a non business day. But if mine does not arrive on Monday and they don't have the courtesy to contact me, then they are going to need a scope to see the Manager as I kick him into the sky.

Archived