SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The kitchen table

Colin i also found that the secondary mirror was loose. It is mounted on a threaded "stick". Simply with your hands turn it til it tightens (making sure it is pointed down the tube towards the primary) and without touching it.

Just tighten all screws up by hand (but not excessively) until you decide to collimate.

I aasume you have by now found the focusing ring (just below where the EP sits) and use the scope fully extended?.

Focusing on a distant object during daylight (as stated above) is i think essential.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dazraz..................believe it or not but i have forgotten to remove the dust/lens cap off of my 90mm refractor AND even on ALL of my bins at one time or another. I spend time setting them all up and that is the last thing i think of (even if i DO think of it).

Easy mistake. I WISH my skies were as dark as the insides of my dust/lens caps.

I have even forgot to remove the lens cap on my SLR.

Colin i also found that the secondary mirror was loose. It is mounted on a threaded "stick". Simply with your hands turn it til it tightens (making sure it is pointed down the tube towards the primary) and without touching it.

Just tighten all screws up by hand (but not excessively) until you decide to collimate.

I aasume you have by now found the focusing ring (just below where the EP sits) and use the scope fully extended?.

Focusing on a distant object during daylight (as stated above) is i think essential.

Wasn't sure whether the secondary mirror had to point directly at the primary, or whether it had to be ofset. Now you say it has to be pointed at the primary will solve one issue.

I am going to make a collimation cap with the dust cover of the cheap barlow lens that comes with the scope. I have read and understand AstroBaby's collimation tutorial, and will have a go at doing it in the morning when I am fresh and not so wound up.

Wasn't sure whether the secondary mirror had to point directly at the primary, or whether it had to be ofset. Now you say it has to be pointed at the primary will solve one issue.

I am going to make a collimation cap with the dust cover of the cheap barlow lens that comes with the scope. I have read and understand AstroBaby's collimation tutorial, and will have a go at doing it in the morning when I am fresh and not so wound up.

The secondary does not have to be pointed EXACTLY at the primary but it helps. Your scope wil be half way to perfectly collimated. The collimation cap will REALLY show you just how much the mirrors are off.

Ideally what you wanna be seeing when looking into the hole in the cap is the 3 clasps of the primary mirror,then the secondary mirror pretty much in the centre of your view of the primary and then the "donut" on the primary pretty much centered in your view of the secondary mirror.

Think of it like this:

a/ can i see all 3 clasps of the primary

b/ is the seconday mirror roughly centered upon the image of the primary

c/ Is the "donut" of the primary pretty centered on the image of the secondary.

d/ IF you can see your eyeball in the centre of the donut which is in the centre of the secondary which is in the centre of the primary......your scope is PERFECTLY COLLIMATED.

Something to aim for but not essential.

The secondary does not have to be pointed EXACTLY at the primary but it helps. Your scope wil be half way to perfectly collimated. The collimation cap will REALLY show you just how much the mirrors are off.

Ideally what you wanna be seeing when looking into the hole in the cap is the 3 clasps of the primary mirror,then the secondary mirror pretty much in the centre of your view of the primary and then the "donut" on the primary pretty much centered in your view of the secondary mirror.

Think of it like this:

a/ can i see all 3 clasps of the primary

b/ is the seconday mirror roughly centered upon the image of the primary

c/ Is the "donut" of the primary pretty centered on the image of the secondary.

d/ IF you can see your eyeball in the centre of the donut which is in the centre of the secondary which is in the centre of the primary......your scope is PERFECTLY COLLIMATED.

Something to aim for but not essential.

Thanks for that Paul. As I said, I will have a go at collimating in the morning. Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks for your help.

The main thing is being able to see all 3 clasps of the primary mirror. This means both the mirrors are pretty much exactly alighned. The donut in the centre is a bonus. Give it a go. You will not break the scope by turning a screw here or there.

Trust me.................you will wonder what all the fuss was about once you do it.

OUCH !!!

I just went outside to grab a few beers (sure why the hell not....its Christmas) and saw the moon above (as you do). I grabbed my Heritage (as you do) and pointed it towards the moon.

The moon (or Selene as i like to call her) is only 70% full tonight and at this phase has never bothered me when observing with my 90mm scope. I can observe without a moon filter. What a difference 40mm makes. I have a 15mm Plossel EP in the scope right now.

THAT was too damn bright.

Remind me not to observe the moon again with the Heritage without using my moon filter.

The main thing is being able to see all 3 clasps of the primary mirror. This means both the mirrors are pretty much exactly alighned. The donut in the centre is a bonus. Give it a go. You will not break the scope by turning a screw here or there.

Trust me.................you will wonder what all the fuss was about once you do it.

Hi Paul

have just carried out my first collimation on the Heritage.

I tightened the secondary mirror after lining it up with the primary.

I made myself a collimation cap, looked through it and could see the three retaining clips of the primary mirror. Adjusted the main screws of the primary which enabled the secondary to be positioned central in the primary. A little more tweaking saw the donut positioned centrally on the secondry.

It was a lot easier than I imagined.

There is a lot of cloud cover where I am so cannot test it tonight.

Hi Paul

have just carried out my first collimation on the Heritage.

I tightened the secondary mirror after lining it up with the primary.

I made myself a collimation cap, looked through it and could see the three retaining clips of the primary mirror. Adjusted the main screws of the primary which enabled the secondary to be positioned central in the primary. A little more tweaking saw the donut positioned centrally on the secondry.

It was a lot easier than I imagined.

There is a lot of cloud cover where I am so cannot test it tonight.

Glad to hear you've had a go and found it to be doable, there is cloud cover here to, but it's quite light and I'm hoping it will clear for at least a little while at some point. You may well find it less frustrating testing it in daylight tomorrow anyway :hello2:

Hi Chris

yes I will certainly test it in the morning.

Have you had to collimate yours?

I havent done a full check to see if it needs 'fine tuning' to be honest. I took it out in day light today and focused in on something miles from my house to the point where I could see cracks in a chimney stack.

If I can get anywhere near that in the night sky, i'll be happy.

Colllimation is an absolute last resort for me, at least until i've used it a few times and become comfortable with it i've no real intention of trying.

I havent done a full check to see if it needs 'fine tuning' to be honest. I took it out in day light today and focused in on something miles from my house to the point where I could see cracks in a chimney stack.

If I can get anywhere near that in the night sky, i'll be happy.

Colllimation is an absolute last resort for me, at least until i've used it a few times and become comfortable with it i've no real intention of trying.

I did not have any choice with mine, it was seriously out of alignment. But believe me, collimation is a lot easier than I thought it would be. It is nice to have things optimised.

Hope you enjoy using your Heritage. I certainly am looking forward to my first views of the moon.

All the best mate.

As the moon made a sudden appearance last night I was able to finally test my Heritage 130P - I could not see a thing!!!!

I know that the mirrors are properly aligned, after carrying out my first collimation, so what can the problem be?

I could see a yellow smudge, which just would not focus.

My first experience of astronomy has been abject disappointment.

As the moon made a sudden appearance last night I was able to finally test my Heritage 130P - I could not see a thing!!!!

I know that the mirrors are properly aligned, after carrying out my first collimation, so what can the problem be?

I could see a yellow smudge, which just would not focus.

My first experience of astronomy has been abject disappointment.

You are fully extending the tube and removing the dust cap arent you? :hello2:

Are you putting the eye piece fully into the fitting? I did that the first night and didnt see a thing, when pulled slightly out it focuses a million times better.

You are fully extending the tube and removing the dust cap arent you? :hello2:

Are you putting the eye piece fully into the fitting? I did that the first night and didnt see a thing, when pulled slightly out it focuses a million times better.

Hi Chris

I know I am originally from Suffolk mate, but even I remembered to take the dust cap off and extend the tube. :)

You are right regarding the eyepiece - it was fully inserted.

You are right regarding the eyepiece - it was fully inserted.

That may well be the problem then. WOohoo look at me solving astronomical problems :hello2: Take it out in daylight now and try it, dont tighten the screws around the eye piece, pull it in and out until you can see what its pointing at, then tighten it.

That may well be the problem then. WOohoo look at me solving astronomical problems :hello2: Take it out in daylight now and try it, dont tighten the screws around the eye piece, pull it in and out until you can see what its pointing at, then tighten it.

When will it be daylight Chris?

Right Chris

First of all, a cracking view of an inverted silver birch tree approx 2 miles away. What leaves remained were clearly visible, including veins - and this was with the wide angle eyepiece, with my eye slightly away from the eyepiece.

Now for other stuff:

Is it normal, with your eye about two inches from the eyepiece, to see the primary mirror with the secondary centered in it? In essense, seeing what you would see through a collimation cap.

Is it normal, with your eye pressed against the eyepiece, to see your own eye?

Right Chris

First of all, a cracking view of an inverted silver birch tree approx 2 miles away. What leaves remained were clearly visible, including veins - and this was with the wide angle eyepiece, with my eye slightly away from the eyepiece.

Now for other stuff:

Is it normal, with your eye about two inches from the eyepiece, to see the primary mirror with the secondary centered in it? In essense, seeing what you would see through a collimation cap.

Is it normal, with your eye pressed against the eyepiece, to see your own eye?

Glad to hear you were able to see something through it:hello2: thats the first step over and done with. I'll leave your questions to the more experienced people on here who could give you a proper detailed answer. The extent of my current knowledge comes from this post from Jim Hayleys comet, earlier in the thread, do everything he mentions and you are good to go:

You do mention you have used the high power lens, which jim below says not to do: (no you dont, sorry)

Nebula Posts: 46

Re: The kitchen table - 25th December 2009, 06:21 PM

ALWAYS start with your lowest power (highest focal length) eyepiece. It is best to start during the day (but never point toward the sun) and adjust your finder on a distant object (usually a tall tree or building that straddles the horizon line). Slide the eyepiece in and out till it comes close to focus, then lock it down with the set screw. Now rotate the helical focus to get it as sharp as can be. Adjust the red dot finder dials till the red dot is on the distant object at which you are looking.

At night, start with the moon. I like to point my H130P toward the moon and then sweep up from the horizon. If you are in the general area, you will notice the view get brighter as you get closer. Again, slide the eyepiece in and out (if you left it in from daytime, then perhaps you will not need to slide in and out again). As you are getting the focus closer the moon (or star) will get smaller and smaller. Once close, lock it down and then rotate the helical focus to fine adjust the object.

Don't mess with collimation until you can focus your scope and have aligned your finder!!!!!

Visit skymaps.com for a free monthly download of objects to view with map. For your first objects (currently Andromeda galaxy, double cluster, Orion Nebula, Pleiades....), locate them in binoculars first. Then point the Heritage130p in the same direction (with lowest power eyepiece previously focused on moon or jupiter) and then sweep up from the horizon.

The chances of seeing ANYTHING in an unfocused scope pointed at a random point in the sky are almost zero. They are even less with a high power (low focal length) eyepiece.

Glad to hear you were able to see something through it:hello2: thats the first step over and done with. I'll leave your questions to the more experienced people on here who could give you a proper detailed answer. The extent of my current knowledge comes from this post from Jim Hayleys comet, earlier in the thread, do everything he mentions and you are good to go:

You do mention you have used the high power lens, which jim below says not to do: (no you dont, sorry)

Some good advice in there Chris.

I seem to making some progress, though I don't know what these reflections in the eyepiece are.

Archived