NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

300 flextube from darkish site 11 & 12th DEC

Ibbo!

An interesting weekend was had

The journey down was mostly in thick fog and took an age and we were surprised to arrive in the last 20 mins of sunlight

We quickly set up in the yard as the field was rather wet after the soaking we have had in the last month or so

I set the 12" up under the open sided barn that was to become the observatory for the weekend not ideal but it did provide a bit of protection from the damp underfoot

Both Friday and Saturday we did have a couple hours of viewing from inside the barn and the usual suspects were the order of the day

m45,m42 m35 ngc2158 the crowd in Auriga 36,37 & 38

Finishing with mars as the fog came in

Sat

M42 for my mate who missed out on fri

ended with m81,82 and ngc3077

and a grand total of 3 Geminids between the pair of us

as both sessions were a rushed affair with the weather as it was and disappointingly I did not get manage to get the pencils out(now reclaimed from the other half)

this scope is going to be a cracker esp from dark sites

Steve

Sounds a very successful trip to a dark site Steve. Was this a farmer you already knew? I need to find a new dark site and have been considering mail dropping a few farmers but so far haven't plucked the courage.

Sounds like you have found yourself a one though.

A small camp site, yep that sounds a good idea. Perhaps that maybe a way forward for me. We have a couple in the New Forest.

I suppose as long as it's an improvement on home, it doesn't matter if it's not pitch black.

The small certified sites are the sort of thing you want

IMHO much better than the bigger sites

OK if you want all the whistles and bells (showers washing machines etc) you will need the bigger sites

the smaller the better for me

quieter, usually more dog friendly and of course if you get to know the owners they will turn off the lights without having to ask

78 miles is quite a way. But then you hear of these US astronomers driving 500miles to observe. 40 miles down to the New Forest is nothing. :(

I've just done a google maps and its 55 miles from here

Its relative(as someone once said)

When I used to work for a living it was nothing to do 800 miles (and more) a week to get to work

Then I had to work :D:eek:

then drive home

They used to say you don't do much private mileage :):icon_scratch:

Now I work for myself

much better :icon_eek::hello2::eek:

Archived