Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Cone area

roundycat

I really like this image Dennis. I'm just starting out on the mono imaging route, any tips or advice would be much appreciated.

I used to do a lot of photography, and there is just something about mono that I like, possibly because it gives a better representation of what is in the eye piece, maybe its the contrast afforded by this type of imaging, anyhow superb image well done..

Thanks. The only advice that comes readily to mind is straight from the darkroom. Make sure you do not have too much paper base white in the picture and do not allow low values to become blocked. After that squeeze as much contrast into the mid-range as you can.

Dennis

REALLY liking this one. I've always preferred mono to the colour images for the same reason as Dark Knight mentioned. For some reason (illogical) it seems so much more like "outer space" than colour.

Of course, thats just me being daft, but I love them all the same

Top image.

Hi Dennis, yes, some fighting contrasts in there! Maybe watch for dark haloes around the outlying stars? Your image did give me a wake up call on pushing the contrasts harder in Ha so I will shoot some more for my effort, probably at a longer focal length for the key interesting bits. Are you going to try another narrowband for this or colour?

I really fancy trying to narrowbandd the whole area down to the Rosette but that darned Orion's belt nearly killed me so I don't know if I'm up for it...

Good image, yours.

Olly

Thanks guys. Olly, if there is any kind of a problem with dark halos it is down to dodgy seeing and fuzzy outlines to stars. At the moment I am averaging about three hours per month so this will get finished next year. I would like to go deep with O3 and S2 as I did it in HaGB last year. I fine tune my contrast as shown here Mono to RGB.

Dennis

I thnk the problem might have been my eyes, Dennis. I have had another look and don't really know what I was seeng this morning. Pray excuse me!

I hope the weather perks up for you, though from what I hear on Internet Radio 4 it might not do so just yet... Snowing here too if its any consolation.

Olly.

Archived