Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion Optics Tube Rings: Mod or Replace ?

I've recently taken delivery of my 1st Orion Optics scope - an immaculate, 2 year old, 10" F/4.8 Europa Deluxe tube assembly. This replaces my 12" Lightbridge dobsonain which I loved but proved just too big and heavy to get as much use as it deserved.

I've only had a short 1st light with the OO 10" but I'm impressed with the scope so far and it's so much easier to move around :)

The one feature of the scope which I'm not too overjoyed about are the tube rings. Other OO newtonian scope owners will probably know what I'm talking about here - they are quite thin - tube bands would be a better description and have quite basic latch / screw type tensioners. They do the job but I've found fine adjustments, eg: to rotate the scope tube, move the centre of balance, very difficult to achieve.

So I'm thinking, shall I replace the tube rings and, if so, with what ? - the tube diameter is 280mm - I'm not sure that matches the Skywatcher 10" equvilent OTA ?.

Or maybe there is a good modification I could do to the latch / screw arrangement on each tube ring to make adjustment easier / smoother ?.

Anybody whose owned an OO scope got any suggestions ?.

John

Archived