Obsy foundations on a slope

SteveL

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And the concrete pier base I can build up like Rob has. Still 3` x 3` x 3` plus extra height to reach just under the level with the top surface of the floor of the obsy... or do you think I could get away with only 2` below the surface?

The impact to the garden using the second method is a lot less that the first.

Option 2 looks the easiest Steve, don't worry too much about planning, tell them it falls under permitted development rules...If going for option 1 you would need too perhaps consider casting the floor and an upstand in concrete, the whole lot would then need to be tanked with a bitumen tar based paint to stop the ingress of water...Yes option 2 definitely the easiest...

I will make contact with his majesty's footman and see if his Lordship is able to leave his country residence for a short period. I am sure his Queen will survive without the Knight of the Realm around to provide ample sustenance for the day.

Daz, SteveL

Don't worry ill get the butler to pop down to Fortman and Masons for a hamper.

As far a visiting goes send the details to my private secretary and I'll have her check ones diary :)

Option 2 is a no brainer, will also work out cheaper in time and materials. The retaining wall in option 1 would need substantial footings and as already been said you would have to make provision for drainage and damp proofing the shed.

Option 2 looks like a winner, bet you can't wait till the day you just slide it off and your away!

Are you going to sit in their when imaging or are you operating from inside the house? I would advise avoiding wireless and get some decent Cat5e out to their if you can. I makes a huge difference for VNC / Remote Desktop and transferring big raw files

Hopefully a small warm room, I do like being outside, but as a network professional at work, I`ll have a decent network connection out to the Obsy for those exteremly cold nights, or nights where I have other things to do in the house at the same time.

I too would opt for opton 2. As has already been identified by several people, drainage could be a significant issue. A deck or patio under the run-off area could make a nice sitting out area. Just make sure that the deck is low enough that you can easily walk under the roof run-off rails withour risking hitting your head. The raised floor option has the added advantage of quicker cool down times.

• 2 weeks later...

Steve,

Keeping away from the damp is very important. Its easy to make simple mistakes. I sighted my first observatory next to a 6ft high hedge and in a grassy part of the garden, not a problem in viewing over it but the moisture just seems to cling to the area and causes real problems. Have since moved to a site nearer the house with a worse view but so much drier and far fewer problems. I know option 2 will involve a longer pillar but it looks far the best option to me.

Best wishes,

Linton

Archived