Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First night out - location frustration!!

First perfect clear skies since I got my scope last night so loaded all my kit in the car and headed out to the countryside to scout for some dark sites. I used the AVEX light pollution map together with Google Maps to get an idea of where to head to. After driving around for 2 hours I decided to head back as I was getting very frustrated (and cold - heater in my car is broken)! I should probably have talked to some farmers beforehand during daylight as I didn't just want to knock on their doors at 8pm asking if I could stand in one of their fields for a couple of hours (although I very nearly did).

I saw so much more with my bino's on holiday in South Africa for 2 weeks (clear skies 80% of the time) than I have with my 6" Newtonian that I've had for more than a month now! But I realised that it was probably just bad planning from my side, after all I didn't even pack a torch last night! I think I might join an Astronomical Society even though the nearest one is twice as far as the nearest dark field. They should know some sweet spots, right?

Planning is key. Rob i tried what you did a few years ago. Headed for the New Forest thinking there would literally hundreds of places we could observe. How wrong we were! Every public car park had a barrier blocking entry. In the end i remembered i spot i took the kids to see radio controlled planes fly. It was perfect and became our darksky site for a couple of years. But we wasted hours driving aimlessly that night.

However we need to find a new site now. The rangers now close off our old site at night. We were going to contact some farmers and see what comes up. But we haven't used a dark site for 3 years now.

Keep smiling matey.....:) It really is about preparation! my first night was an utter disaster and though it didnt put me off Astronomy it really kicked me in the teeth as it where!

I spent about 7 hours in my garden last night observing (finally packed up about 2am :icon_eek:

) and really enjoyed it! See my knew post to get some well needed moral !

Your best bet is to do the scouting about in the day time for potential spots, or if you have a pair of bins then head out in the evening and do a rekkie without the hassle of setting up your scope to check sky quality and suitable sites. Though I've found a potential dark site I'm a bit lazy and prefer the convenience of the garden at the mo.

Archived