Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Advice please - I've done something really stupid...

I haven't managed to get out with the scopes for what seems like ages, and have neglected the forum recently, as I've been up to my neck in work. So, a clear night and an hour or two spare was a great opportunity....

...for me to rush outside and connect my 6V C-G5 dual axis motor control to the 12V connector on my powertank.

Can't believe I was so stupid. I am SO careful about this sort of thing. Normally.

Although it was only on for a second, inevitably, the green LED in the centre, which normally glows red when the controls are pressed, either doesn't light up. Or glows a sort of greeny red.

And the motors don't move. Not at all.

Can someone lighten my mood and assure me that:

1). It's only fried the controller, not the motors.

2). Where I can get another one (model 93523)

3). That I'm not a complete imbecile.

(Sigh)

The motors probably would withstand a short period overload, the controller would not. Voltage conscious components in there I reckon, and it will have failed.

Even in this dark time, I would take steps to ensure the connections for different supplies are such that this mistake can't be repeated. You will be gutted, but unfortunately, electronics can be very unforgiving. Have it checked by a technician, it may repair but prepare for the worst.

Ron.

Cheers Ron. I'm hoping the motors should be fine, as it was only plugged in for a few seconds.

Anyhow, I'll have to buy the whole kit again as I don't think the controller is available separately.

I'll post a request in the "wanted" forum, and give the nice guys at FLO a call.

is there such a thing as a fuse...?

Unfortunately not, Dennis.

It lights up, but doesn't work.

It's a 6v DC circuit. I've had it apart. Tidy Chinese batch-production board with a PIC chip. No surface mount or anything fancy, and evidently no voltage protection.

:icon_eek:

Hi

i think your motors will be fine, i once asked a sparkie at my works what would happen if i put double the voltage through a zip saw that i'd bought (it was marked as 110volts but had a 13A 240volt mains square pin plug fitted:eek: )

he said it would simply run twice as fast...

electronic components usually have a small tolerance, ie, resistors may only have a 10% overload tolerance (they're usually marked with three coloured rings for values and a fourth for the tolerance..

i'm not too sure what would happen to other components such as capacitors, transistors etc (though i'm fairly sure transistors will blow but caps will be ok as long as the polarity is correct)

an electronics techie may be able to sort it out for you....

John...

Hi Jarndyce, I´m pretty sure motors are fine. Exactly the same thing happened to a friend of mine with his S.W. Eq5 mount. He couldn´t repair the pad, but motors were OK. He solved the problem with a new pad.

Good luck!

I think the tolerance is the accuracy of the actual resistance of the component versus the stated e.g. 10 ohm nominal resistor with a 10% tolerance can be between 9 and 11 ohms (unless it's changed in the last 20 years)

Hi

with three coloured rings for values and a fourth for the tolerance..

John...

Archived