Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter 5th Dec 09

Clayton

Having just reassembled my LXD55 mount after unsuccessful surgery, and a large imaging hiatus I was desperate to catch something :icon_eek:

This was the first and at a cursory glance, the best of the night before it turned to wobbly out of focus jelly.

200sec avi, 10fps, 1/50th sec shutter, 8"Newt f6 +2x Barlow (f12)

post-16237-133877413378_thumb.jpg

Thank's Brian

This was from the first avi of the night, before I got settled and started to fine tune the camera settings. I am not even sure where the Gamma is set as I normally don't touch it, but it is normally toward the low end.

If I get another chance I will try to lower it a tad.

I might play around with some PP to see if I can improve the result?

I might play around with some PP to see if I can improve the result?

Yes ... in fact I usually shoot with gamma set to default (1.00 or 100 or whatever scale the software uses) but tweak gamma in the final screen in Registax ... you can make exactly the same adjustment to the "final" image with "Levels" in Photoshop. If you intend to do this it's best to save in Registax as 16 bit TIFF, conversion to 8 bit JPEG is the last thing you should do as this is where information is compressed out.

Yes ... in fact I usually shoot with gamma set to default (1.00 or 100 or whatever scale the software uses) but tweak gamma in the final screen in Registax ... you can make exactly the same adjustment to the "final" image with "Levels" in Photoshop. If you intend to do this it's best to save in Registax as 16 bit TIFF, conversion to 8 bit JPEG is the last thing you should do as this is where information is compressed out.

Thanks for the tips Brian, I will have a go ;)

I usually stay with the BMP format until I am ready to post. The last step is a conversion to JPEG.

Tony, I use the Phillips ToUcam 840K.

And I was a bit surprised at this late stage to get much detail, as well as very lucky to have started imaging before I could see Jupiter with the naked eye :hello2: as in a matter of minutes the seeing went from ordinary to very bad :mad::(:icon_eek:

Nice and tight there Clayton, Not sure if its my monitor, as for a while i suspected my it is a little overbright. But the middle of the planet looks very bright to me. If it does not look that way to others ? think i need to get a new monitor. If anyone could say.

By the way Neil what Monitor do you have??

I only ask because the monitor I have now was getting too bright due to it's age, and my work was throwing it out as they couldn't fix it. I managed to find a fix through google (no tools required, just button pushing) and it's been fine ever since :icon_eek:

Just a repro

I'm a little lost with my colour balance as both of my monitors show something different :):icon_eek:

This colour looks sort of OK on the monitor I do my processing on, but a bit earthy on the other :eek:

Comments welcome :D

post-16237-133877413825_thumb.jpg

Archived