Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Focal length query and DSLR Camera Question

Paliadon

Hi all, I have a 10" Meade LX200 ACF and was wondering what the focal length is. I have searched everywhere and just cannot seem to find it.

Secondly, I have a Nikon D300s and am hoping to do some imaging in the near future. I have Orion's short tube 80 with the StarShoot camera autoguider. Can anyone tell me how I can zoom the image (not post-processed) I mean for DSO. If this can be done it would be great, if not, slap me silly. lol.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure on the focal length of that scope, but if it's an f/10, then it's 2000mm. As to increasing the "zoom", then you need to increase the focal length, but you will increase the exposure time at the same time. A x2 doubles the focal length and I think quadruples the exposure time..

I'm not sure on the focal length of that scope, but if it's an f/10, then it's 2000mm. As to increasing the "zoom", then you need to increase the focal length, but you will increase the exposure time at the same time. A x2 doubles the focal length and I think quadruples the exposure time..

If the f number 10 then it has a focal length of 2500mm not 2000mm

www.meade.com

peter

With the 10" SCT, f10 you can use the Orion for guiding, but to get a better "zoom" factor with the 10" I'd add a x0.63 reducer. This would give a f ratio of 6.3 and a focal length of 1575mm.

Just watch the spacing between the reducer and the CCD chip... the optimum distance is 110mm.

Ken

The focal length is indeed 2500mm native. I think you have to be careful with reducers on the ACF, though. It already has a flat field so the standard SCT reducer-flattener is not what's needed but a pure reducer. I may be wrong about this but I would have a care here.

Olly

Archived